Matsuzaka could make spring debut March 18
|03.07.10 at 12:26 pm ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona told reporters prior to his team’s spring training game against the Orioles in Sarasota that the rough estimate is to have pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka pitch in a game for the first time this spring on March 18. The date is an off day for the Red Sox, so Matsuzaka would be most likely facing hitters at the minor league training facility if that schedule does hold up.
Jason Varitek has also been away from the team with an excused absence, tending to a personal matter. “We just told him to handle what he needs to and we’ll make adjustments,” Francona told reporters. “He knows he has our blessing to do what he needs to do.”
Mike Lowell, who visited with surgeon Dr. Michael Kelly, may have a plan mapped out for his integration into spring training games by Monday. Francona was scheduled to meet with trainer Mike Reinold regarding the matter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles