Youkilis makes facial hair a public matter
|03.07.10 at 2:52 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Kevin Youkilis is making his Opening Day facial hair a matter of public choice. Fans who donate at least $1 to his “Hits for Kids” charitable foundation can weigh in on whether he should sport a goatee, mustache, fu manchu or clean shaven look on April 3. (Click here for details.)
“If I have to look like Magnum, P.I., to raise some money for kids, I’ll do it,” said Youkilis.
Youkilis has already posed for his official team photo this year, sporting a goatee. Thus, there will be no repeat of the “Youk-Fu” look that graced scoreboards across the majors in 2009. In retrospect, Youkilis harbors no regrets about his facial hair in that photo, but he was chagrined about the fact that the photo made it appear as if he was sleepwalking.
“Everyone kept saying, ‘Man, what were you doing?'” he chuckled. “I just said, ‘7:30 in the morning.’ It looked like I was in a bad spot. I looked like I was a biker.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest