Youkilis makes facial hair a public matter
|03.07.10 at 2:52 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Kevin Youkilis is making his Opening Day facial hair a matter of public choice. Fans who donate at least $1 to his “Hits for Kids” charitable foundation can weigh in on whether he should sport a goatee, mustache, fu manchu or clean shaven look on April 3. (Click here for details.)
“If I have to look like Magnum, P.I., to raise some money for kids, I’ll do it,” said Youkilis.
Youkilis has already posed for his official team photo this year, sporting a goatee. Thus, there will be no repeat of the “Youk-Fu” look that graced scoreboards across the majors in 2009. In retrospect, Youkilis harbors no regrets about his facial hair in that photo, but he was chagrined about the fact that the photo made it appear as if he was sleepwalking.
“Everyone kept saying, ‘Man, what were you doing?'” he chuckled. “I just said, ‘7:30 in the morning.’ It looked like I was in a bad spot. I looked like I was a biker.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs