Varitek’s absence due to father’s illness
|03.10.10 at 3:56 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — While talking to the media regarding Nomar Garciaparra’s retirement, Jason Varitek divulged that his recent absence has been because of his father’s illness. Varitek, who left the Red Sox‘ camp late last week, didn’t get into particulars regarding what the medical issue was.
“As far as details on it, I’ll grant my mom’s wishes and kind of keep things … we’re just in a stage where we need to keep things in-house until we have a little more direction where things are going to go. It’s my dad,” He’s fighting a battle right now. We’ll leave it at that.”
Varitek, who returned to Fort Myers last Tuesday night, didn’t know what his schedule would be going forward, not ruling out taking another hiatus
.”It’s my dad so I’m not going to say I’m here for good,” Varitek explained. “As far as extended period, I have no idea. I knew I had to come back, get outside a little bit, kind of get refreshed, and get back to work a little bit and make sure the family’s stable, which is most important.
“It’s a weird feeling. It’s just a different feeling. I was tired today. It’s been a stressful, straining week, five to six days. Guys have been great. I had a ton of text messages from Theo down to Tito and all my teammates. Family has been great. Friend support in the area has been awesome. I’m just very thankful that so many people reached out.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two