Varitek’s absence due to father’s illness
|03.10.10 at 3:56 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — While talking to the media regarding Nomar Garciaparra’s retirement, Jason Varitek divulged that his recent absence has been because of his father’s illness. Varitek, who left the Red Sox‘ camp late last week, didn’t get into particulars regarding what the medical issue was.
“As far as details on it, I’ll grant my mom’s wishes and kind of keep things … we’re just in a stage where we need to keep things in-house until we have a little more direction where things are going to go. It’s my dad,” He’s fighting a battle right now. We’ll leave it at that.”
Varitek, who returned to Fort Myers last Tuesday night, didn’t know what his schedule would be going forward, not ruling out taking another hiatus
.”It’s my dad so I’m not going to say I’m here for good,” Varitek explained. “As far as extended period, I have no idea. I knew I had to come back, get outside a little bit, kind of get refreshed, and get back to work a little bit and make sure the family’s stable, which is most important.
“It’s a weird feeling. It’s just a different feeling. I was tired today. It’s been a stressful, straining week, five to six days. Guys have been great. I had a ton of text messages from Theo down to Tito and all my teammates. Family has been great. Friend support in the area has been awesome. I’m just very thankful that so many people reached out.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort
- Teddy Stankiewicz debuted streamlined delivery in first spring outing