Varitek’s absence due to father’s illness
|03.10.10 at 3:56 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — While talking to the media regarding Nomar Garciaparra’s retirement, Jason Varitek divulged that his recent absence has been because of his father’s illness. Varitek, who left the Red Sox‘ camp late last week, didn’t get into particulars regarding what the medical issue was.
“As far as details on it, I’ll grant my mom’s wishes and kind of keep things … we’re just in a stage where we need to keep things in-house until we have a little more direction where things are going to go. It’s my dad,” He’s fighting a battle right now. We’ll leave it at that.”
Varitek, who returned to Fort Myers last Tuesday night, didn’t know what his schedule would be going forward, not ruling out taking another hiatus
.”It’s my dad so I’m not going to say I’m here for good,” Varitek explained. “As far as extended period, I have no idea. I knew I had to come back, get outside a little bit, kind of get refreshed, and get back to work a little bit and make sure the family’s stable, which is most important.
“It’s a weird feeling. It’s just a different feeling. I was tired today. It’s been a stressful, straining week, five to six days. Guys have been great. I had a ton of text messages from Theo down to Tito and all my teammates. Family has been great. Friend support in the area has been awesome. I’m just very thankful that so many people reached out.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game