An encouraging outing for Lackey
|03.11.10 at 3:49 pm ET|
First, the weather held off long enough at Tradition Field so that the Sox’ starter could get in his three innings of work — allowing three hits, but more importantly inducing eight groundouts compared to just one flyout.
‘I’m on time, yeah. I’m not getting too far ahead of myself or anything,” Lackey said. “My two-seamer was pretty good today. I was happy with that. I got a lot of ground balls. Some of the other pitches aren’t quite there yet. We’ve still got some work to do, for sure. … I don’t think I threw a changeup in the game. I need to incorporate that a little bit more the next couple of starts. Slider and cutter thing wasn’t that great today. Still got some work done.’
Another positive Lackey took away was the opportunity to work with catcher Victor Martinez.
“He was great. It was a lot of fun,” Martinez said. “I was talking to him, he really looked effortless. He wasn’t trying to overthrow or push his pitches. And he really has that two-seamer working pretty good today. And the ball was kind of heavy. He mixed his pitches, he worked on what he needed to work on, and I think it went great for him. … It’s always good when you feel that good this early in spring training. It’s a good sign. It’s got to be a good feeling.
“I think we did OK. There were a couple of checks, and it was the first time for me catching him, but it’ll get better.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando