Bay on boos: ‘I thought it was a little harsh’
|03.11.10 at 3:23 pm ET|
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — The greeting did take some at Tradition Field off guard.
Upon stepping into the batter’s box in the second inning of New York’s game against the Red Sox, Jason Bay was announced to the fans at the spring training home of the Mets and was peppered with a smattering of boos.
“I thought it was a little harsh,” the former Red Sox outfielder said with a grin.
When asked how he would classify the reception, Bay explained, “It was lukewarm, at best.”
Upon hearing the explanation, Mets third baseman David Wright yelled over, “For everything you brought to that city, they should cheer for you.”
Bay seemed genuinely amused — while still somewhat surprised — coming away from the re-introduction to his former teammates with an understanding of the situation.
“They travel well,” Bay said of the Red Sox fans in attendance. “I didn’t expect to get cheered. I’m not there anymore.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 in Review: Deven Marrero and Trey Ball
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje