Bay on boos: ‘I thought it was a little harsh’
|03.11.10 at 3:23 pm ET|
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — The greeting did take some at Tradition Field off guard.
Upon stepping into the batter’s box in the second inning of New York’s game against the Red Sox, Jason Bay was announced to the fans at the spring training home of the Mets and was peppered with a smattering of boos.
“I thought it was a little harsh,” the former Red Sox outfielder said with a grin.
When asked how he would classify the reception, Bay explained, “It was lukewarm, at best.”
Upon hearing the explanation, Mets third baseman David Wright yelled over, “For everything you brought to that city, they should cheer for you.”
Bay seemed genuinely amused — while still somewhat surprised — coming away from the re-introduction to his former teammates with an understanding of the situation.
“They travel well,” Bay said of the Red Sox fans in attendance. “I didn’t expect to get cheered. I’m not there anymore.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade