Bay on boos: ‘I thought it was a little harsh’
|03.11.10 at 3:23 pm ET|
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — The greeting did take some at Tradition Field off guard.
Upon stepping into the batter’s box in the second inning of New York’s game against the Red Sox, Jason Bay was announced to the fans at the spring training home of the Mets and was peppered with a smattering of boos.
“I thought it was a little harsh,” the former Red Sox outfielder said with a grin.
When asked how he would classify the reception, Bay explained, “It was lukewarm, at best.”
Upon hearing the explanation, Mets third baseman David Wright yelled over, “For everything you brought to that city, they should cheer for you.”
Bay seemed genuinely amused — while still somewhat surprised — coming away from the re-introduction to his former teammates with an understanding of the situation.
“They travel well,” Bay said of the Red Sox fans in attendance. “I didn’t expect to get cheered. I’m not there anymore.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins