Bay on boos: ‘I thought it was a little harsh’
|03.11.10 at 3:23 pm ET|
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — The greeting did take some at Tradition Field off guard.
Upon stepping into the batter’s box in the second inning of New York’s game against the Red Sox, Jason Bay was announced to the fans at the spring training home of the Mets and was peppered with a smattering of boos.
“I thought it was a little harsh,” the former Red Sox outfielder said with a grin.
When asked how he would classify the reception, Bay explained, “It was lukewarm, at best.”
Upon hearing the explanation, Mets third baseman David Wright yelled over, “For everything you brought to that city, they should cheer for you.”
Bay seemed genuinely amused — while still somewhat surprised — coming away from the re-introduction to his former teammates with an understanding of the situation.
“They travel well,” Bay said of the Red Sox fans in attendance. “I didn’t expect to get cheered. I’m not there anymore.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa
- Top 40 Season in Review: Cody Kukuk and Jamie Callahan