Daniel Bard’s secret weapon
|03.11.10 at 3:10 pm ET|
“That,” Red Sox reliever Daniel Bard said, “was the best I’ve ever had.”
No, the subject of Bard’s observation wasn’t a fastball that once again registered near the century mark. No, this had everything to do with sound, not sight. What the relief pitcher was talking about was the popping everybody throughout the ballpark could here once Bard’s fastballs hit catcher Luis Exposito’s mitt.
At one point, one reporter in the press box bellowed out after a particularly loud pitch, “That sounds like 100.2 (mph) to me.”
“I love it when it’s like that,” Bard said. “I threw that first pitch and thought, ‘This is going to be good.’ I love throwing to Expo.”
Bard went on to say that a lot of the veteran catchers have “pillow mitts” which don’t supply the the kind acoustics found with Exposito’s All-Star model, which just started breaking in at the beginning of spring training.
Asked about the sound made when Bard’s pitches hit his mitt, Exposito — who caught the pitcher two years ago in Single A Greenville — had a little different take.
“I think it’s the pitcher, not the mitt,” Exposito said. “When you throw that hard it’s going to make some sort of sound.”
According to Bard, however, this was unlike any other tone he had heard before.
“That,” Bard said, “was awesome.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept