Cameron: Pedroia best trash-talker of all-time
|03.12.10 at 12:23 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — It is raining all over Florida, with Jupiter and Fort Myers being no exceptions.
That gave the Red Sox players staying behind at City of Palms Park plenty of time to give Dustin Pedroia grief regarding the second baseman’s picture on the cover of Baseball America, which was strewn all over the team’s clubhouse.
Of course, the taunting just opened the door for a litany of rebuttals from Pedroia (who shaved his head after being teased about his hairstyle by former teammate Alex Cora Thursday). It is a trend that hasn’t been lost on the new guys.
“Nothing, but his mouth is a lot bigger than I thought it was,” said outfielder Mike Cameron when asked if there was anything about Pedroia’s game that surprised the 16-year big league veteran. “But he backs it up. He talks a lot of (crap), but he goes out and does it. He’s not one cent short of confidence. I thought (Bret Boone) was the all-time greatest, but (Pedroia) tops him by far. I’ve never, ever seen anyone talk as much (crap) as he does.”
Was did the mere fact that Pedroia talked as much as he does surprise Cameron?
“Not really because you kind of hear certain things,” the outfielder said, “but to actually see it every single day, it’s funny.”
At the Fort, the players were still able to work in the weight room and batting cages while the showers poured down on City of Palms Park. Unfortunately for the players assigned to play in the Red Sox’ game against the Cardinals, that schedule didn’t prove as fruitful. The game across the state was rained out just after the Red Sox’ team bus arrived, making for a six-hour trip back and forth.
The only starting position player to make the trip was Kevin Youkilis.
Today’s scheduled starter, Clay Buchholz, will pitch Saturday afternoon, with Michael Bowden (Saturday’s scheduled starter) to follow. Casey Kelly is slated to then lead off an intra-squad game immediately following the Sox’ regular tilt against Pittsburgh.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick