Cameron: Pedroia best trash-talker of all-time
|03.12.10 at 12:23 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — It is raining all over Florida, with Jupiter and Fort Myers being no exceptions.
That gave the Red Sox players staying behind at City of Palms Park plenty of time to give Dustin Pedroia grief regarding the second baseman’s picture on the cover of Baseball America, which was strewn all over the team’s clubhouse.
Of course, the taunting just opened the door for a litany of rebuttals from Pedroia (who shaved his head after being teased about his hairstyle by former teammate Alex Cora Thursday). It is a trend that hasn’t been lost on the new guys.
“Nothing, but his mouth is a lot bigger than I thought it was,” said outfielder Mike Cameron when asked if there was anything about Pedroia’s game that surprised the 16-year big league veteran. “But he backs it up. He talks a lot of (crap), but he goes out and does it. He’s not one cent short of confidence. I thought (Bret Boone) was the all-time greatest, but (Pedroia) tops him by far. I’ve never, ever seen anyone talk as much (crap) as he does.”
Was did the mere fact that Pedroia talked as much as he does surprise Cameron?
“Not really because you kind of hear certain things,” the outfielder said, “but to actually see it every single day, it’s funny.”
At the Fort, the players were still able to work in the weight room and batting cages while the showers poured down on City of Palms Park. Unfortunately for the players assigned to play in the Red Sox’ game against the Cardinals, that schedule didn’t prove as fruitful. The game across the state was rained out just after the Red Sox’ team bus arrived, making for a six-hour trip back and forth.
The only starting position player to make the trip was Kevin Youkilis.
Today’s scheduled starter, Clay Buchholz, will pitch Saturday afternoon, with Michael Bowden (Saturday’s scheduled starter) to follow. Casey Kelly is slated to then lead off an intra-squad game immediately following the Sox’ regular tilt against Pittsburgh.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016