Cameron: Pedroia best trash-talker of all-time
|03.12.10 at 12:23 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — It is raining all over Florida, with Jupiter and Fort Myers being no exceptions.
That gave the Red Sox players staying behind at City of Palms Park plenty of time to give Dustin Pedroia grief regarding the second baseman’s picture on the cover of Baseball America, which was strewn all over the team’s clubhouse.
Of course, the taunting just opened the door for a litany of rebuttals from Pedroia (who shaved his head after being teased about his hairstyle by former teammate Alex Cora Thursday). It is a trend that hasn’t been lost on the new guys.
“Nothing, but his mouth is a lot bigger than I thought it was,” said outfielder Mike Cameron when asked if there was anything about Pedroia’s game that surprised the 16-year big league veteran. “But he backs it up. He talks a lot of (crap), but he goes out and does it. He’s not one cent short of confidence. I thought (Bret Boone) was the all-time greatest, but (Pedroia) tops him by far. I’ve never, ever seen anyone talk as much (crap) as he does.”
Was did the mere fact that Pedroia talked as much as he does surprise Cameron?
“Not really because you kind of hear certain things,” the outfielder said, “but to actually see it every single day, it’s funny.”
At the Fort, the players were still able to work in the weight room and batting cages while the showers poured down on City of Palms Park. Unfortunately for the players assigned to play in the Red Sox’ game against the Cardinals, that schedule didn’t prove as fruitful. The game across the state was rained out just after the Red Sox’ team bus arrived, making for a six-hour trip back and forth.
The only starting position player to make the trip was Kevin Youkilis.
Today’s scheduled starter, Clay Buchholz, will pitch Saturday afternoon, with Michael Bowden (Saturday’s scheduled starter) to follow. Casey Kelly is slated to then lead off an intra-squad game immediately following the Sox’ regular tilt against Pittsburgh.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?