Cameron: Pedroia best trash-talker of all-time
|03.12.10 at 12:23 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — It is raining all over Florida, with Jupiter and Fort Myers being no exceptions.
That gave the Red Sox players staying behind at City of Palms Park plenty of time to give Dustin Pedroia grief regarding the second baseman’s picture on the cover of Baseball America, which was strewn all over the team’s clubhouse.
Of course, the taunting just opened the door for a litany of rebuttals from Pedroia (who shaved his head after being teased about his hairstyle by former teammate Alex Cora Thursday). It is a trend that hasn’t been lost on the new guys.
“Nothing, but his mouth is a lot bigger than I thought it was,” said outfielder Mike Cameron when asked if there was anything about Pedroia’s game that surprised the 16-year big league veteran. “But he backs it up. He talks a lot of (crap), but he goes out and does it. He’s not one cent short of confidence. I thought (Bret Boone) was the all-time greatest, but (Pedroia) tops him by far. I’ve never, ever seen anyone talk as much (crap) as he does.”
Was did the mere fact that Pedroia talked as much as he does surprise Cameron?
“Not really because you kind of hear certain things,” the outfielder said, “but to actually see it every single day, it’s funny.”
At the Fort, the players were still able to work in the weight room and batting cages while the showers poured down on City of Palms Park. Unfortunately for the players assigned to play in the Red Sox’ game against the Cardinals, that schedule didn’t prove as fruitful. The game across the state was rained out just after the Red Sox’ team bus arrived, making for a six-hour trip back and forth.
The only starting position player to make the trip was Kevin Youkilis.
Today’s scheduled starter, Clay Buchholz, will pitch Saturday afternoon, with Michael Bowden (Saturday’s scheduled starter) to follow. Casey Kelly is slated to then lead off an intra-squad game immediately following the Sox’ regular tilt against Pittsburgh.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles