Cameron: Pedroia best trash-talker of all-time
|03.12.10 at 12:23 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — It is raining all over Florida, with Jupiter and Fort Myers being no exceptions.
That gave the Red Sox players staying behind at City of Palms Park plenty of time to give Dustin Pedroia grief regarding the second baseman’s picture on the cover of Baseball America, which was strewn all over the team’s clubhouse.
Of course, the taunting just opened the door for a litany of rebuttals from Pedroia (who shaved his head after being teased about his hairstyle by former teammate Alex Cora Thursday). It is a trend that hasn’t been lost on the new guys.
“Nothing, but his mouth is a lot bigger than I thought it was,” said outfielder Mike Cameron when asked if there was anything about Pedroia’s game that surprised the 16-year big league veteran. “But he backs it up. He talks a lot of (crap), but he goes out and does it. He’s not one cent short of confidence. I thought (Bret Boone) was the all-time greatest, but (Pedroia) tops him by far. I’ve never, ever seen anyone talk as much (crap) as he does.”
Was did the mere fact that Pedroia talked as much as he does surprise Cameron?
“Not really because you kind of hear certain things,” the outfielder said, “but to actually see it every single day, it’s funny.”
At the Fort, the players were still able to work in the weight room and batting cages while the showers poured down on City of Palms Park. Unfortunately for the players assigned to play in the Red Sox’ game against the Cardinals, that schedule didn’t prove as fruitful. The game across the state was rained out just after the Red Sox’ team bus arrived, making for a six-hour trip back and forth.
The only starting position player to make the trip was Kevin Youkilis.
Today’s scheduled starter, Clay Buchholz, will pitch Saturday afternoon, with Michael Bowden (Saturday’s scheduled starter) to follow. Casey Kelly is slated to then lead off an intra-squad game immediately following the Sox’ regular tilt against Pittsburgh.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando