Mets viewed Lackey a bigger health risk than Bay
|03.12.10 at 7:46 am ET|
It should be noted that the Mets did have strong interest in Lackey when the Red Sox got the pitcher to commit to a five-year, $82.5 million deal. Bay ultimately inked a four-year contract with the Mets worth $64 million, that includes a fifth-year vesting option.
Lackey’s contract with the Red Sox includes medical contingencies that protect the team against the pitcher missing significant time with a pre-existing elbow injury. The Sox’ concerns with Bay mostly revolved around the outfielder’s knees, which the Mets didn’t deem enough of a concern to prevent a deal.
‘We liked Lackey,’ said Mets general manager Omar Minaya during his team’s game with the Red Sox, Thursday. ‘We thought Lackey was probably the best starting pitcher out there. As for as Bay, we thought we needed a power hitter. Give Boston credit, they were aggressive. At the time of the winter meetings we talked to both of them and they were very aggressive going after Lackey. I’ll give them credit. They liked the guy, they went after him right away.’
As for how Bay felt about the Red Sox’ signing of Lackey …
‘You look at it now and it’s genius,’ Bay said Thursday. ‘Look at that pitching staff and it’s ridiculous. But at the time it didn’t look like there was a need. But it was a great move.
‘It surprised me because you hear all the stuff that goes on and his name wasn’t connected with the Red Sox and then all of a sudden, boom, done. Usually people get wind of things like that. They’re good at doing their own thing, but of all the team he was rumored to go to, then it was the Red Sox.’
Minaya also said that the hestiancy the Red Sox had regarding Bay’s defense were not an issue for New York.
‘I was not concerned,’ Minaya said. ‘We had seen him in the National League. We didn’t see what people were talking about. I can understand it. When you play left field at Fenway Park it’s not easy. Guys can look back at that left field wall. ‘
For the complete story of how Bay felt about the Red Sox’ commitment to Lackey click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept