Lowrie sidelined after accelerated heart rate
|03.14.10 at 3:42 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox infielder Jed Lowrie has been sidelined the last few days after experiencing an accelerated heart rate last Thursday. Lowrie has undergone tests throughout the past few days as a precautionary measure, having complained of feeling run-down.
“He had a thing the other day when we over in Port St. Lucie. He wasn’t feeling really good, so we had him checked out with the doctor,” said Red Sox manager Terry Francona following his team’s 6-4 win over the Twins, Sunday afternoon at Hammond Stadium.
“We wanted to run him through some tests before we get him back on the field. We’ve been doing that the last couple of days but with the weekend it kind of slowed things down a little bit. They’re all precautionary. He just kind of came in and said, ‘I kind of feels like I got hit by a car.’ He just got run down and he said he has had this feeling during the winter time so we just want to get him kind of back on his feet and eliminate anything it could ever be. So the safest way to go about it is to run a bunch of tests. We’re probably being overly cautious, but I’m not sure you can be.”
Francona noted that the team wanted to get the test results back before inserting Lowrie back into the lineup.
“We think he’s fine, but he’s been fatigued a little bit and we want to rule out stuff,” Francona said. “I think what happens a lot of times is you get down here, you get a little tired, and you get sick, which he is, and you feel beat up. We just want to make sure that’s what it is.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela