Lowrie sidelined after accelerated heart rate
|03.14.10 at 3:42 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox infielder Jed Lowrie has been sidelined the last few days after experiencing an accelerated heart rate last Thursday. Lowrie has undergone tests throughout the past few days as a precautionary measure, having complained of feeling run-down.
“He had a thing the other day when we over in Port St. Lucie. He wasn’t feeling really good, so we had him checked out with the doctor,” said Red Sox manager Terry Francona following his team’s 6-4 win over the Twins, Sunday afternoon at Hammond Stadium.
“We wanted to run him through some tests before we get him back on the field. We’ve been doing that the last couple of days but with the weekend it kind of slowed things down a little bit. They’re all precautionary. He just kind of came in and said, ‘I kind of feels like I got hit by a car.’ He just got run down and he said he has had this feeling during the winter time so we just want to get him kind of back on his feet and eliminate anything it could ever be. So the safest way to go about it is to run a bunch of tests. We’re probably being overly cautious, but I’m not sure you can be.”
Francona noted that the team wanted to get the test results back before inserting Lowrie back into the lineup.
“We think he’s fine, but he’s been fatigued a little bit and we want to rule out stuff,” Francona said. “I think what happens a lot of times is you get down here, you get a little tired, and you get sick, which he is, and you feel beat up. We just want to make sure that’s what it is.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?