Report: Westmoreland condition potentially life-threatening
|03.14.10 at 11:43 am ET|
According to a report on ESPN.com, the condition for which top Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland is scheduled to have surgery for “carries significant risk of neurological damage and is potentially life-threatening.”
The report has a team source saying that Westmoreland began experiencing headaches and a variety of neurological symptoms, leading him to leave spring training on March 4 before being examined at Massachusetts General Hospital the next day. After consulting with three specialists around the country it was determined that Westmoreland was to have surgery for a “cavernous malformation of the brain” at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.
The report by Gordon Edes goes on to say that the malformation is located on the brain stem and there has been some bleeding in the brain, which could lead to severe neurological damage. For the rest of the story click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller