Report: Westmoreland condition potentially life-threatening
|03.14.10 at 11:43 am ET|
According to a report on ESPN.com, the condition for which top Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland is scheduled to have surgery for “carries significant risk of neurological damage and is potentially life-threatening.”
The report has a team source saying that Westmoreland began experiencing headaches and a variety of neurological symptoms, leading him to leave spring training on March 4 before being examined at Massachusetts General Hospital the next day. After consulting with three specialists around the country it was determined that Westmoreland was to have surgery for a “cavernous malformation of the brain” at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.
The report by Gordon Edes goes on to say that the malformation is located on the brain stem and there has been some bleeding in the brain, which could lead to severe neurological damage. For the rest of the story click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville