The Hall of Famer who broke in Mike Lowell’s glove
|03.14.10 at 1:24 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Mike Lowell was out taking short-hops off the bat of Torey Lovullo Sunday morning at City of Palms in preparation of his spring training debut, Monday.
Lovullo started at third, moved to shortstop and then second base, hitting sharp grounders using a fungo bat. The idea was to simulate errant throws from each position. Lowell appeared to field the position adeptly, using a very newish looking Wilson A2000 first baseman’s mitt.
Evidently, Wilson had sent Lowell the mitt two week prior to the beginning of spring training, not giving the infielder enough time to properly to break in the new piece of equipment. So, Lowell decided to turn to a Hall of Fame … Jim Rice.
Upon seeing the glove, Rice volunteered to help with the process, catching buckets of balls from the pitching machine until ultimately the mitt was fit for practice. Then came the prerequisite shaving cream and all the other tricks of the trade used to finish such a job and Lowell had his glove ready to go for his first game at first base since 1998.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin