The Hall of Famer who broke in Mike Lowell’s glove
|03.14.10 at 1:24 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Mike Lowell was out taking short-hops off the bat of Torey Lovullo Sunday morning at City of Palms in preparation of his spring training debut, Monday.
Lovullo started at third, moved to shortstop and then second base, hitting sharp grounders using a fungo bat. The idea was to simulate errant throws from each position. Lowell appeared to field the position adeptly, using a very newish looking Wilson A2000 first baseman’s mitt.
Evidently, Wilson had sent Lowell the mitt two week prior to the beginning of spring training, not giving the infielder enough time to properly to break in the new piece of equipment. So, Lowell decided to turn to a Hall of Fame … Jim Rice.
Upon seeing the glove, Rice volunteered to help with the process, catching buckets of balls from the pitching machine until ultimately the mitt was fit for practice. Then came the prerequisite shaving cream and all the other tricks of the trade used to finish such a job and Lowell had his glove ready to go for his first game at first base since 1998.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept