The Hall of Famer who broke in Mike Lowell’s glove
|03.14.10 at 1:24 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Mike Lowell was out taking short-hops off the bat of Torey Lovullo Sunday morning at City of Palms in preparation of his spring training debut, Monday.
Lovullo started at third, moved to shortstop and then second base, hitting sharp grounders using a fungo bat. The idea was to simulate errant throws from each position. Lowell appeared to field the position adeptly, using a very newish looking Wilson A2000 first baseman’s mitt.
Evidently, Wilson had sent Lowell the mitt two week prior to the beginning of spring training, not giving the infielder enough time to properly to break in the new piece of equipment. So, Lowell decided to turn to a Hall of Fame … Jim Rice.
Upon seeing the glove, Rice volunteered to help with the process, catching buckets of balls from the pitching machine until ultimately the mitt was fit for practice. Then came the prerequisite shaving cream and all the other tricks of the trade used to finish such a job and Lowell had his glove ready to go for his first game at first base since 1998.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Ortiz Ties Jimmie Foxx for 18th on All-Time Home Runs List
- Pedroia Has Become Forgotten Star in Red Sox's Booming Offense
- Andrew Benintendi Injury: Updates on Red Sox OF's Knee, Return
- Buchholz Can Still Play Big Part in Red Sox's Title Hopes
- Porcello's Resurgence Worth Every Penny of Extension
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Red Sox2 break out brooms; Dalbec keeps raking
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10