The Hall of Famer who broke in Mike Lowell’s glove
|03.14.10 at 1:24 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Mike Lowell was out taking short-hops off the bat of Torey Lovullo Sunday morning at City of Palms in preparation of his spring training debut, Monday.
Lovullo started at third, moved to shortstop and then second base, hitting sharp grounders using a fungo bat. The idea was to simulate errant throws from each position. Lowell appeared to field the position adeptly, using a very newish looking Wilson A2000 first baseman’s mitt.
Evidently, Wilson had sent Lowell the mitt two week prior to the beginning of spring training, not giving the infielder enough time to properly to break in the new piece of equipment. So, Lowell decided to turn to a Hall of Fame … Jim Rice.
Upon seeing the glove, Rice volunteered to help with the process, catching buckets of balls from the pitching machine until ultimately the mitt was fit for practice. Then came the prerequisite shaving cream and all the other tricks of the trade used to finish such a job and Lowell had his glove ready to go for his first game at first base since 1998.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs