Appearing in Fort Myers: Ortiz, Lowell
|03.15.10 at 1:11 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A couple of (sort of) familiar sights were on display for the first time this spring.
Mike Lowell played in his first game since undergoing offseason surgery on his right thumb. He started at first base (his first game activity at the position since playing four games at first as a minor leaguer in 1998) and went 1-for-2, dumping a single over Orioles first baseman Brandon Snyder in the bottom of the first inning and flying out to right-center in the third. No grounders were hit in Lowell’s direction, though he did record a couple of put-outs on throws from shortstop Bill Hall and pitcher Tim Wakefield. He was replaced at first base by Aaron Bates for the top of the fourth inning.
David Ortiz , who entered Monday having gotten one hit in 21 at-bats this spring, walked in his first at-bat againt Orioles starter Brad Bergeson and then, in the third inning, lifted a 3-1 pitch into a stiff wind blowing out to right field. The ball carried into the bleachers over the right-field fence for Ortiz’ first Grapefruit League homer of the spring (though it is worth noting that Ortiz had also gone deep in the Sox’ first exhibition game of the spring against Northeastern University).
For more on Ortiz, see Rob Bradford’s story.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen