Appearing in Fort Myers: Ortiz, Lowell
|03.15.10 at 1:11 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A couple of (sort of) familiar sights were on display for the first time this spring.
Mike Lowell played in his first game since undergoing offseason surgery on his right thumb. He started at first base (his first game activity at the position since playing four games at first as a minor leaguer in 1998) and went 1-for-2, dumping a single over Orioles first baseman Brandon Snyder in the bottom of the first inning and flying out to right-center in the third. No grounders were hit in Lowell’s direction, though he did record a couple of put-outs on throws from shortstop Bill Hall and pitcher Tim Wakefield. He was replaced at first base by Aaron Bates for the top of the fourth inning.
David Ortiz , who entered Monday having gotten one hit in 21 at-bats this spring, walked in his first at-bat againt Orioles starter Brad Bergeson and then, in the third inning, lifted a 3-1 pitch into a stiff wind blowing out to right field. The ball carried into the bleachers over the right-field fence for Ortiz’ first Grapefruit League homer of the spring (though it is worth noting that Ortiz had also gone deep in the Sox’ first exhibition game of the spring against Northeastern University).
For more on Ortiz, see Rob Bradford’s story.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance