Appearing in Fort Myers: Ortiz, Lowell
|03.15.10 at 1:11 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A couple of (sort of) familiar sights were on display for the first time this spring.
Mike Lowell played in his first game since undergoing offseason surgery on his right thumb. He started at first base (his first game activity at the position since playing four games at first as a minor leaguer in 1998) and went 1-for-2, dumping a single over Orioles first baseman Brandon Snyder in the bottom of the first inning and flying out to right-center in the third. No grounders were hit in Lowell’s direction, though he did record a couple of put-outs on throws from shortstop Bill Hall and pitcher Tim Wakefield. He was replaced at first base by Aaron Bates for the top of the fourth inning.
David Ortiz , who entered Monday having gotten one hit in 21 at-bats this spring, walked in his first at-bat againt Orioles starter Brad Bergeson and then, in the third inning, lifted a 3-1 pitch into a stiff wind blowing out to right field. The ball carried into the bleachers over the right-field fence for Ortiz’ first Grapefruit League homer of the spring (though it is worth noting that Ortiz had also gone deep in the Sox’ first exhibition game of the spring against Northeastern University).
For more on Ortiz, see Rob Bradford’s story.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Moore, Miller provide heroics as Drive win in 14
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win