Appearing in Fort Myers: Ortiz, Lowell
|03.15.10 at 1:11 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A couple of (sort of) familiar sights were on display for the first time this spring.
Mike Lowell played in his first game since undergoing offseason surgery on his right thumb. He started at first base (his first game activity at the position since playing four games at first as a minor leaguer in 1998) and went 1-for-2, dumping a single over Orioles first baseman Brandon Snyder in the bottom of the first inning and flying out to right-center in the third. No grounders were hit in Lowell’s direction, though he did record a couple of put-outs on throws from shortstop Bill Hall and pitcher Tim Wakefield. He was replaced at first base by Aaron Bates for the top of the fourth inning.
David Ortiz , who entered Monday having gotten one hit in 21 at-bats this spring, walked in his first at-bat againt Orioles starter Brad Bergeson and then, in the third inning, lifted a 3-1 pitch into a stiff wind blowing out to right field. The ball carried into the bleachers over the right-field fence for Ortiz’ first Grapefruit League homer of the spring (though it is worth noting that Ortiz had also gone deep in the Sox’ first exhibition game of the spring against Northeastern University).
For more on Ortiz, see Rob Bradford’s story.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday