Monday Morning Notes
|03.15.10 at 9:11 am ET|
—Daisuke Matsuzaka, after being sidelined for the past two days by a stiff neck, is feeling better. He is expected to throw long toss, and if all goes well, he will throw live batting practice later this morning.
—Jed Lowrie will undergo a stress test this morning after experiencing an accelerated heart rate last week. If there are no abnormalities in the test, he would be cleared to resume baseball activities.
—Bill Hall is making his first game appearance of the spring at shortstop today. He hasn’t played the position since 2006, when he was the Brewers’ everyday shortstop, but if he can handle the position, it would help the Sox to create a functional roster. “If Billy can play short,” said Francona, “it’s a huge advantage.”
–Francona praised the work of Scott Atchison this spring, and noted that his fastball/cutter/changeup combination allows him to attack both right-handed and left-handed hitters. Atchison and Joe Nelson — who features a Vulcan changeup that is extremely tough for lefties — are capable of taking some of the workload off of Hideki Okajima, even though they are right-handed, because they have the stuff to attack southpaws.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington