Monday Morning Notes
|03.15.10 at 9:11 am ET|
—Daisuke Matsuzaka, after being sidelined for the past two days by a stiff neck, is feeling better. He is expected to throw long toss, and if all goes well, he will throw live batting practice later this morning.
—Jed Lowrie will undergo a stress test this morning after experiencing an accelerated heart rate last week. If there are no abnormalities in the test, he would be cleared to resume baseball activities.
—Bill Hall is making his first game appearance of the spring at shortstop today. He hasn’t played the position since 2006, when he was the Brewers’ everyday shortstop, but if he can handle the position, it would help the Sox to create a functional roster. “If Billy can play short,” said Francona, “it’s a huge advantage.”
–Francona praised the work of Scott Atchison this spring, and noted that his fastball/cutter/changeup combination allows him to attack both right-handed and left-handed hitters. Atchison and Joe Nelson — who features a Vulcan changeup that is extremely tough for lefties — are capable of taking some of the workload off of Hideki Okajima, even though they are right-handed, because they have the stuff to attack southpaws.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs