A look at new Sox minor leaguer Celestino
|03.18.10 at 4:20 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Truth be told, there wasn’t a great deal of information available on Miguel Celestino, the minor league pitcher whom the Red Sox acquired as the player to be named to complete the deal that sent first baseman Casey Kotchman to the Mariners for utility man Bill Hall and cash.
The 20-year-old right-hander went 5-3 with a 4.72 ERA and 48 strikeouts (against 23 walks) in 66.1 innings in Rookie Ball in 2009. Sox scout Matt Dorey was able to get a look at the pitcher during the Mariners’ Instructional League.
The Sox scouted Celestino further over the winter in the Dominican, and saw him throw in a simulated game in Mariners camp on Wednesday. The pitcher has shown a fastball at 90-91 mph that he throws at a good, downward angle because of his size (he is listed at 6-foot-5) and has shown some feel for his changeup, while also including a curve in his mix.
Based on the assessments of Dorey and Sox assistant to the GM Allard Baird, the Sox felt like they had a better feel for Celestino than the other players whom they could have selected from the Mariners’ list. And so, the team decided to take the pitcher, in hopes of having some time to begin to work with him in spring training.
“[Dorey] did a good job of digging in [Instructional League]. He had a report on him that was interesting enough that we wanted to include him in list of players,” said Sox Assistant GM Ben Cherington. “We decided that he was the guy, and wanted to get him into camp a little bit sooner so we could work with him this spring.
“He’s a big, strong kid, good body,” Cherington added. “He has a pretty good angle, pretty good sink, good feel for a changeup. We’ll see him tomorrow and get a chance to know him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.