Tough break for Velazquez
|03.19.10 at 8:38 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox infielder Gil Velazquez chipped a bone in his left thumb diving for a ball on Tuesday in an exhibition game against the Astros and is expected to miss six weeks.
Velazquez appeared Friday morning in the Red Sox clubhouse at City of Palms Park with a cast on his left thumb and said he will be evaluated every two weeks.
Jacoby Ellsbury reported that he felt much better and took part in the team’s workout on Friday morning after taking the last two days to recover from flu-like symptoms. Ellsbury, who was still nursing a raspy voice, said he expects to be ready to play on Saturday when the Red Sox host Baltimore at City of Palms.
As the Red Sox headed north on I-75 to play the Pirates in Bradenton on Friday, several other regulars stayed behind to get their work in at City of Palms, including position players Kevin Youkilis, J.D. Drew, Marco Scutaro, Adrian Beltre, Ellsbury and Mike Lowell.
Lowell will play in a minor league spring training game at 12:30 at the Red Sox minor league complex down Edison Avenue.
Jonathan Papelbon, Hideki Okajima and Daniel Bard were among the pitchers getting side work in on Friday. Daisuke Matsuzaka was expected to throw a side later Friday, determining whether he will be cleared to pitch in a game on Sunday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts