Tough break for Velazquez
|03.19.10 at 8:38 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox infielder Gil Velazquez chipped a bone in his left thumb diving for a ball on Tuesday in an exhibition game against the Astros and is expected to miss six weeks.
Velazquez appeared Friday morning in the Red Sox clubhouse at City of Palms Park with a cast on his left thumb and said he will be evaluated every two weeks.
Jacoby Ellsbury reported that he felt much better and took part in the team’s workout on Friday morning after taking the last two days to recover from flu-like symptoms. Ellsbury, who was still nursing a raspy voice, said he expects to be ready to play on Saturday when the Red Sox host Baltimore at City of Palms.
As the Red Sox headed north on I-75 to play the Pirates in Bradenton on Friday, several other regulars stayed behind to get their work in at City of Palms, including position players Kevin Youkilis, J.D. Drew, Marco Scutaro, Adrian Beltre, Ellsbury and Mike Lowell.
Lowell will play in a minor league spring training game at 12:30 at the Red Sox minor league complex down Edison Avenue.
Jonathan Papelbon, Hideki Okajima and Daniel Bard were among the pitchers getting side work in on Friday. Daisuke Matsuzaka was expected to throw a side later Friday, determining whether he will be cleared to pitch in a game on Sunday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes