Tough break for Velazquez
|03.19.10 at 8:38 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox infielder Gil Velazquez chipped a bone in his left thumb diving for a ball on Tuesday in an exhibition game against the Astros and is expected to miss six weeks.
Velazquez appeared Friday morning in the Red Sox clubhouse at City of Palms Park with a cast on his left thumb and said he will be evaluated every two weeks.
Jacoby Ellsbury reported that he felt much better and took part in the team’s workout on Friday morning after taking the last two days to recover from flu-like symptoms. Ellsbury, who was still nursing a raspy voice, said he expects to be ready to play on Saturday when the Red Sox host Baltimore at City of Palms.
As the Red Sox headed north on I-75 to play the Pirates in Bradenton on Friday, several other regulars stayed behind to get their work in at City of Palms, including position players Kevin Youkilis, J.D. Drew, Marco Scutaro, Adrian Beltre, Ellsbury and Mike Lowell.
Lowell will play in a minor league spring training game at 12:30 at the Red Sox minor league complex down Edison Avenue.
Jonathan Papelbon, Hideki Okajima and Daniel Bard were among the pitchers getting side work in on Friday. Daisuke Matsuzaka was expected to throw a side later Friday, determining whether he will be cleared to pitch in a game on Sunday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles