Red Sox sign Embree to minor league deal
|03.20.10 at 7:18 am ET|
The Red Sox have signed lefty reliever Alan Embree to a minor league deal with an invitation to the team’s major league spring training camp.
The 40-year-old spent 2009 with Colorado, going 2-2 with a 5.84 ERA in 36 relief appearances before having his season cut short when a batted ball fractured his right tibia on July 10. Embree last pitched for the Red Sox in 2005, having joined the organization in ’02.
During his stint with Boston Embree went 8-9 with four saves and a 4.69 ERA in 211 relief appearances, allowing earned runs in just one of his 19 post season games with the Red Sox. He was also on the mound for the final out of Game 7 of the 2004 American League Championship Series in Yankee Stadium.
Since leaving the Sox Embree has pitched for the Yankees (’05), Athletics (’07-08), and Rockies. He is ninth all-time among Major League left-handers and second among active lefties with 878 career relief outings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller