Red Sox sign Embree to minor league deal
|03.20.10 at 7:18 am ET|
The Red Sox have signed lefty reliever Alan Embree to a minor league deal with an invitation to the team’s major league spring training camp.
The 40-year-old spent 2009 with Colorado, going 2-2 with a 5.84 ERA in 36 relief appearances before having his season cut short when a batted ball fractured his right tibia on July 10. Embree last pitched for the Red Sox in 2005, having joined the organization in ’02.
During his stint with Boston Embree went 8-9 with four saves and a 4.69 ERA in 211 relief appearances, allowing earned runs in just one of his 19 post season games with the Red Sox. He was also on the mound for the final out of Game 7 of the 2004 American League Championship Series in Yankee Stadium.
Since leaving the Sox Embree has pitched for the Yankees (’05), Athletics (’07-08), and Rockies. He is ninth all-time among Major League left-handers and second among active lefties with 878 career relief outings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game