Papelbon ‘lackadaisical’ due to anti-migraine meds
|03.21.10 at 3:34 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A bit more than an hour before Sunday’s spring training game, Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon lay down in full uniform and tried to prop his head up on the bottom of his locker. The 29-year-old had felt a migraine coming on, and so the team’s medical staff had given him medication to stave off its symptoms.
The medicine did its job, and the team thought there wouldn’t be an issue having the pitcher throw as scheduled. But Papelbon remained rather listless entering the game. It showed, as he recorded just one out while allowing six runs (five earned) on five hits while allowing a walk and hitting a batter.
“You could tell the whole inning, he wasn’t himself,” said Sox manager Terry Francona. “He got his work in. The flip side of that is he didn’t fare very well.”
“It’s just one of those days. I tried to get my work in, but it’s one of those lull days of spring training,” said Papelbon. “It’s not like I felt like I had a migraine going into my outing or anything. It’s just that I was real lackadaisical, not much energy in me. … I’m really just trying to throw the ball in the zone and let players get themselves out. Unfortunately, they were hitting it hard around the whole ballpark.”
Papelbon said that he was still satisfied that he got his work in, and threw his pitches to build up arm strength. He suggested that this was the first time this year that he had required medicine for his migraines.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort