Papelbon ‘lackadaisical’ due to anti-migraine meds
|03.21.10 at 3:34 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A bit more than an hour before Sunday’s spring training game, Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon lay down in full uniform and tried to prop his head up on the bottom of his locker. The 29-year-old had felt a migraine coming on, and so the team’s medical staff had given him medication to stave off its symptoms.
The medicine did its job, and the team thought there wouldn’t be an issue having the pitcher throw as scheduled. But Papelbon remained rather listless entering the game. It showed, as he recorded just one out while allowing six runs (five earned) on five hits while allowing a walk and hitting a batter.
“You could tell the whole inning, he wasn’t himself,” said Sox manager Terry Francona. “He got his work in. The flip side of that is he didn’t fare very well.”
“It’s just one of those days. I tried to get my work in, but it’s one of those lull days of spring training,” said Papelbon. “It’s not like I felt like I had a migraine going into my outing or anything. It’s just that I was real lackadaisical, not much energy in me. … I’m really just trying to throw the ball in the zone and let players get themselves out. Unfortunately, they were hitting it hard around the whole ballpark.”
Papelbon said that he was still satisfied that he got his work in, and threw his pitches to build up arm strength. He suggested that this was the first time this year that he had required medicine for his migraines.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller