Pedroia suffers mild wrist sprain
|03.23.10 at 9:20 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia left his team’s contest against the Twins prior to the start of the bottom of the second inning due to a mild left wrist sprain. Pedroia appeared to suffer the injury against the first Twins batter of the game, when he dove to his left to corral a Denard Span grounder. After his awkward landing, he jumped up but sailed his throw to first, getting charged with the error.
Teammate Clay Buchholz said that Pedroia was not too concerned about the injury, and that his removal from the game merely represented a conservative course of action.
“I knew that when he came in [to the dugout after the first inning] he was wincing a little bit,” said Buchholz. I asked him if he’d be alright. He said he’d be OK, but just precautionary I guess to get him out and take a look at it.”
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Pedroia had limited swelling on the back of his left wrist. He will have X-rays taken on Wednesday morning, but the manager believed that they were merely precautionary.
“It was the back of his wrist. He had mild effusion, which is limited swelling. We’re going to get him X-rayed in the morning just to make sure,” said Francona. “I don’t think there’s a problem. He might be a little sore tomorrow. Hopefully that’s all it is. He wasn’t going to play tomorrow anyway. But we’ll certainly get him checked up on.’
Pedroia is being described as day-to-day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Ockimey continue hot streaks