Pedroia suffers mild wrist sprain
|03.23.10 at 9:20 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia left his team’s contest against the Twins prior to the start of the bottom of the second inning due to a mild left wrist sprain. Pedroia appeared to suffer the injury against the first Twins batter of the game, when he dove to his left to corral a Denard Span grounder. After his awkward landing, he jumped up but sailed his throw to first, getting charged with the error.
Teammate Clay Buchholz said that Pedroia was not too concerned about the injury, and that his removal from the game merely represented a conservative course of action.
“I knew that when he came in [to the dugout after the first inning] he was wincing a little bit,” said Buchholz. I asked him if he’d be alright. He said he’d be OK, but just precautionary I guess to get him out and take a look at it.”
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Pedroia had limited swelling on the back of his left wrist. He will have X-rays taken on Wednesday morning, but the manager believed that they were merely precautionary.
“It was the back of his wrist. He had mild effusion, which is limited swelling. We’re going to get him X-rayed in the morning just to make sure,” said Francona. “I don’t think there’s a problem. He might be a little sore tomorrow. Hopefully that’s all it is. He wasn’t going to play tomorrow anyway. But we’ll certainly get him checked up on.”
Pedroia is being described as day-to-day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- ESPNBoston: SoxProspects covering the Trade Deadline
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart