Pedroia suffers mild wrist sprain
|03.23.10 at 9:20 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia left his team’s contest against the Twins prior to the start of the bottom of the second inning due to a mild left wrist sprain. Pedroia appeared to suffer the injury against the first Twins batter of the game, when he dove to his left to corral a Denard Span grounder. After his awkward landing, he jumped up but sailed his throw to first, getting charged with the error.
Teammate Clay Buchholz said that Pedroia was not too concerned about the injury, and that his removal from the game merely represented a conservative course of action.
“I knew that when he came in [to the dugout after the first inning] he was wincing a little bit,” said Buchholz. I asked him if he’d be alright. He said he’d be OK, but just precautionary I guess to get him out and take a look at it.”
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Pedroia had limited swelling on the back of his left wrist. He will have X-rays taken on Wednesday morning, but the manager believed that they were merely precautionary.
“It was the back of his wrist. He had mild effusion, which is limited swelling. We’re going to get him X-rayed in the morning just to make sure,” said Francona. “I don’t think there’s a problem. He might be a little sore tomorrow. Hopefully that’s all it is. He wasn’t going to play tomorrow anyway. But we’ll certainly get him checked up on.’
Pedroia is being described as day-to-day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg