Lowell discusses progress of ‘the’ hip
|03.24.10 at 3:42 pm ET|
Lowell said that strength-wise the hip is back to where it was prior to the torn labrum he suffered in 2008, but there was some disappointment as to how the distance put between the surgery and his current state has left him running-wise.
“With X-rays and what I’ve done, I think what I was not aware of was best case scenario was status quo post-surgery. Meaning whatever cartilage damage I had, which was technically was pretty signficant on the hip side, it wasn’t going to get better. I don’t know if it was my optimism. I do believe it was what I was told, that it was going to get better,” Lowell said.
“In that sense, would I compare to like I am running like in ’07, I would say no. So in that sense it was a little disappointing. I still stick to that I really felt like every stride I took, especially at the beginning of the year last year, was very delicate and I don’t think I’m there. I still stand that I am better than last year. There’s a certain condition in the hip that I don’t think will ever allow me to get the point where I was in ’07 or prior. In that sense, of course that’s disappointing but I think once I got more educated in what happened with the surgery, and I have more range of motion now that can cause more friction, it makes more sense.
“Yeah, I think I was anticipating a little more going in … not strength-wise. It’s all the impact of the running because I can jump, I can push hard, and weights-wise I would say I am ’07 and prior, but you just can’t simulate running, unless you can run in a pool and that would be a different story.”
Lowell said he had been experimenting with a few different kinds of wraps over the past few games, but has decided not to use any after “fighting through” some of the previous treatments.
Finally, asked if overall his hip was better than last season, Lowell’s answer was, “absolutely.” But not as good as before the surgery? “No, and it probably won’t be.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven