Lowell discusses progress of ‘the’ hip
|03.24.10 at 3:42 pm ET|
Lowell said that strength-wise the hip is back to where it was prior to the torn labrum he suffered in 2008, but there was some disappointment as to how the distance put between the surgery and his current state has left him running-wise.
“With X-rays and what I’ve done, I think what I was not aware of was best case scenario was status quo post-surgery. Meaning whatever cartilage damage I had, which was technically was pretty signficant on the hip side, it wasn’t going to get better. I don’t know if it was my optimism. I do believe it was what I was told, that it was going to get better,” Lowell said.
“In that sense, would I compare to like I am running like in ’07, I would say no. So in that sense it was a little disappointing. I still stick to that I really felt like every stride I took, especially at the beginning of the year last year, was very delicate and I don’t think I’m there. I still stand that I am better than last year. There’s a certain condition in the hip that I don’t think will ever allow me to get the point where I was in ’07 or prior. In that sense, of course that’s disappointing but I think once I got more educated in what happened with the surgery, and I have more range of motion now that can cause more friction, it makes more sense.
“Yeah, I think I was anticipating a little more going in … not strength-wise. It’s all the impact of the running because I can jump, I can push hard, and weights-wise I would say I am ’07 and prior, but you just can’t simulate running, unless you can run in a pool and that would be a different story.”
Lowell said he had been experimenting with a few different kinds of wraps over the past few games, but has decided not to use any after “fighting through” some of the previous treatments.
Finally, asked if overall his hip was better than last season, Lowell’s answer was, “absolutely.” But not as good as before the surgery? “No, and it probably won’t be.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins