Why Joe Nelson is ‘LOST’ and some other Red Sox stuff
|03.24.10 at 12:31 pm ET|
BRADENTON, Fla. — By now you’ve heard that Dustin Pedroia’s wrist is OK, he will take batting practice Thursday, and plans to play Friday against the Blue Jays at City of Palms Park. You also know that he was scheduled to hang back today, in part so that he could film a Dunkin Donuts commercial.
Here are some other news, notes and nonsensical ramblings while we await what figures to be Josh Beckett’s 85-90-pitch outing against the gritty, gutty Pirates (will send out old friend Brendan Donnelly as their third pitcher):
- Before the real newsy stuff, an explanation as to the blog’s title: On Joe Nelson’s glove, running down the outside where the pointer finger is placed, are the letters “LOST.” The explanation? While the reliever is a fan of the show (even though he fell asleep during the most recent episode) the word was placed there almost by accident. He had asked the glove manufacturer to put the first letters of each of his kids and his wife, which typically he wrote down as “TSOL.” Oh, and by the way, Nelson, who pitches second for the Sox Wednesday, feels his well-documented changeup is feeling a lot better than earlier in camp.
- Mike Lowell will be playing first base again, Wednesday. He comes in having played five innings at both first and third, respectively. Red Sox manager Terry Francona praised the infielder’s actions at his new position, saying, “I think he feels pretty comfortable.” Here is some more Marlins/Lowell trade rumor linkage (courtesy MLB Trade Rumors).
- Francona noted that he would rather view Clay Buchholz through the prism of his starts last season rather than the pitcher’s rough outing Tuesday night.
- The Sox manager said that there was no timetable for the return of Jed Lowrie, who continues to recover from mono.
- Francona explained that Manny Delcarmen’s arm is sound, but he is still trying to work some kinks out regarding his delivery.
- Pitching for the Red Sox against the Pirates will be Beckett, Nelson, Brian Shouse, and Fernando Cabrera. The lineup will be as follows: Jacoby Ellsbury LF, Mke Cameron CF, Victor Martinez C, Lowell 1B, Jeremy Hermida DH, Bill Hall SS, Tug Hulett 2B, Josh Reddick RF, Jorge Jimenez 3B.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in GCL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off