Wakefield ‘very curious’ about Red Sox’ plans
|03.25.10 at 4:33 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Speaking after his six-inning outing against the Marlins, Tim Wakefield said he hadn’t been told by the Red Sox what their plans were for him once the regular season opened up. “I’m very curious, not knowing,” Wakefield said after the Sox’ 6-4 win over Florida at City of Palms Park. “Normally I kind of know what’s going on. I think they have some decisions to make. We’ll see what happens.” Asked if he had any indication as to what might transpire, Wakefield said, “No. Zero.”
Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell said following the game that Wakefield will next pitch on Tuesday, in Port Charlotte against Tampa Bay, and that he — and the rest of the pitching staff — will learn of his roles shortly.
“We echo Wake’s sentiments and comments because we’ve got options,” Farrell said. “We are fortunate to have five healthy and very good starting pitchers. We have not arrived at that final decisions and that is ongoing dialogue from within. Out of respect to Wake and everybody else in the organization they’ll be met with individually and given those thoughts in due time and a very short amount of time here upcoming knowing we’ve got 10 days before we open up. And once they’re spoken with that will become more of an announcement for everyone who is playing close to attention.”
Wakefield allowed three runs in his outing, marking just the second time in six spring appearances that he has given up runs. The knuckleballer finished throwing 73 pitches, striking out five and walking two while surrendering six hits. His spring ERA stands at 3.66.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies