Wakefield ‘very curious’ about Red Sox’ plans
|03.25.10 at 4:33 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Speaking after his six-inning outing against the Marlins, Tim Wakefield said he hadn’t been told by the Red Sox what their plans were for him once the regular season opened up. “I’m very curious, not knowing,” Wakefield said after the Sox’ 6-4 win over Florida at City of Palms Park. “Normally I kind of know what’s going on. I think they have some decisions to make. We’ll see what happens.” Asked if he had any indication as to what might transpire, Wakefield said, “No. Zero.”
Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell said following the game that Wakefield will next pitch on Tuesday, in Port Charlotte against Tampa Bay, and that he — and the rest of the pitching staff — will learn of his roles shortly.
“We echo Wake’s sentiments and comments because we’ve got options,” Farrell said. “We are fortunate to have five healthy and very good starting pitchers. We have not arrived at that final decisions and that is ongoing dialogue from within. Out of respect to Wake and everybody else in the organization they’ll be met with individually and given those thoughts in due time and a very short amount of time here upcoming knowing we’ve got 10 days before we open up. And once they’re spoken with that will become more of an announcement for everyone who is playing close to attention.”
Wakefield allowed three runs in his outing, marking just the second time in six spring appearances that he has given up runs. The knuckleballer finished throwing 73 pitches, striking out five and walking two while surrendering six hits. His spring ERA stands at 3.66.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston