Wakefield ‘very curious’ about Red Sox’ plans
|03.25.10 at 4:33 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Speaking after his six-inning outing against the Marlins, Tim Wakefield said he hadn’t been told by the Red Sox what their plans were for him once the regular season opened up. “I’m very curious, not knowing,” Wakefield said after the Sox’ 6-4 win over Florida at City of Palms Park. “Normally I kind of know what’s going on. I think they have some decisions to make. We’ll see what happens.” Asked if he had any indication as to what might transpire, Wakefield said, “No. Zero.”
Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell said following the game that Wakefield will next pitch on Tuesday, in Port Charlotte against Tampa Bay, and that he — and the rest of the pitching staff — will learn of his roles shortly.
“We echo Wake’s sentiments and comments because we’ve got options,” Farrell said. “We are fortunate to have five healthy and very good starting pitchers. We have not arrived at that final decisions and that is ongoing dialogue from within. Out of respect to Wake and everybody else in the organization they’ll be met with individually and given those thoughts in due time and a very short amount of time here upcoming knowing we’ve got 10 days before we open up. And once they’re spoken with that will become more of an announcement for everyone who is playing close to attention.”
Wakefield allowed three runs in his outing, marking just the second time in six spring appearances that he has given up runs. The knuckleballer finished throwing 73 pitches, striking out five and walking two while surrendering six hits. His spring ERA stands at 3.66.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash