Wakefield ‘very curious’ about Red Sox’ plans
|03.25.10 at 4:33 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Speaking after his six-inning outing against the Marlins, Tim Wakefield said he hadn’t been told by the Red Sox what their plans were for him once the regular season opened up. “I’m very curious, not knowing,” Wakefield said after the Sox’ 6-4 win over Florida at City of Palms Park. “Normally I kind of know what’s going on. I think they have some decisions to make. We’ll see what happens.” Asked if he had any indication as to what might transpire, Wakefield said, “No. Zero.”
Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell said following the game that Wakefield will next pitch on Tuesday, in Port Charlotte against Tampa Bay, and that he — and the rest of the pitching staff — will learn of his roles shortly.
“We echo Wake’s sentiments and comments because we’ve got options,” Farrell said. “We are fortunate to have five healthy and very good starting pitchers. We have not arrived at that final decisions and that is ongoing dialogue from within. Out of respect to Wake and everybody else in the organization they’ll be met with individually and given those thoughts in due time and a very short amount of time here upcoming knowing we’ve got 10 days before we open up. And once they’re spoken with that will become more of an announcement for everyone who is playing close to attention.”
Wakefield allowed three runs in his outing, marking just the second time in six spring appearances that he has given up runs. The knuckleballer finished throwing 73 pitches, striking out five and walking two while surrendering six hits. His spring ERA stands at 3.66.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles