Lowell leaves game after being hit in knee
|03.26.10 at 1:35 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox third baseman Mike Lowell was forced to leave his team’s game against the Blue Jays Friday afternoon at City of Palms Park after fouling a 1-1 pitch from Toronto’s Brett Cecil off his left knee. Lowell, who was the Red Sox’ third batter of the game for the home team, was helped off the field by head trainer Mike Reinold and manager Terry Francona after not being able to put any pressure on the leg. Jorge Jimenez came on to pinch-hit for Lowell and was promptly hit by a pitch.
Prior to the game a source indicated that the Red Sox were not close in regard to any potential trades involving Lowell.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners drop one in extras, timely hitting for Sea Dogs and Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team