Red Sox release Shouse
|03.26.10 at 9:50 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox released left-handed pitcher Brian Shouse on Friday morning, according to a team source. The 41-year-old pitched in 10 games this spring, allowing just one run while posting a 0.96 ERA and striking out six while walking one. He also allowed eight hits and hit a batter.
With Shouse out of the running, the race for the final two spots in the Sox bullpen would now appear to come down to Boof Bonser, Alan Embree, Joe Nelson and Scott Atchison. Shouse’s departure leaves Embree as the only left-hander still in the running for the spot.
Shouse had an opt-out clause in the minor league deal he had with the Sox, believed to be for April 15. That was the same date as Embree’s opt-out. As such, given the positive early returns on Embree, it appeared unlikely that Shouse would force his way onto the club before he could elect free agency, thus making a release a sensible course for both the player and club.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins