Red Sox release Shouse
|03.26.10 at 9:50 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox released left-handed pitcher Brian Shouse on Friday morning, according to a team source. The 41-year-old pitched in 10 games this spring, allowing just one run while posting a 0.96 ERA and striking out six while walking one. He also allowed eight hits and hit a batter.
With Shouse out of the running, the race for the final two spots in the Sox bullpen would now appear to come down to Boof Bonser, Alan Embree, Joe Nelson and Scott Atchison. Shouse’s departure leaves Embree as the only left-hander still in the running for the spot.
Shouse had an opt-out clause in the minor league deal he had with the Sox, believed to be for April 15. That was the same date as Embree’s opt-out. As such, given the positive early returns on Embree, it appeared unlikely that Shouse would force his way onto the club before he could elect free agency, thus making a release a sensible course for both the player and club.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven