Farrell explains timeline of Tazawa injury
|03.29.10 at 5:35 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell explained the timeline of the problem with Junichi Tazawa’s elbow that ultimately led him to be examined by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. Monday.
“He’s been dealing with some discomfort, some tightness, in the second half of last year,” Farrell explained. “He went through a normal offseason, didn’t have any issues, came into spring training, went through every outlined throwing session that we had and there were varying degrees of tightness or discomfort at different points this spring. And then in games his velocity was not quite where it was in the past and his breaking stuff was not as sharp. And even in his last bullpen he felt there was a little bit of tightness. I wouldn’t say it was further, or getting worse, but precautionary we wanted to send him to see Andrews and get that evaluation.”
The Red Sox hadn’t heard any reports back regarding Tazawa, who was slated to return to the team Monday night.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?