Farrell explains timeline of Tazawa injury
|03.29.10 at 5:35 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell explained the timeline of the problem with Junichi Tazawa’s elbow that ultimately led him to be examined by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. Monday.
“He’s been dealing with some discomfort, some tightness, in the second half of last year,” Farrell explained. “He went through a normal offseason, didn’t have any issues, came into spring training, went through every outlined throwing session that we had and there were varying degrees of tightness or discomfort at different points this spring. And then in games his velocity was not quite where it was in the past and his breaking stuff was not as sharp. And even in his last bullpen he felt there was a little bit of tightness. I wouldn’t say it was further, or getting worse, but precautionary we wanted to send him to see Andrews and get that evaluation.”
The Red Sox hadn’t heard any reports back regarding Tazawa, who was slated to return to the team Monday night.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin