Bonser, Lowrie to start season on D.L.
|03.31.10 at 1:25 pm ET|
Red Sox pitcher Boof Bonser and infielder Jed Lowrie were both placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 26. Bonser, who missed all of 2009 after undergoing shoulder surgery, landed on the D.L. with a right groin strain that he incurred on March 22 in an outing against the Rays. Lowrie landed on the shelf due to his ongoing recovery from mononucleosis.
Lowrie was already expected to start the year in the minors, so his presence on the disabled list does not significantly impact the team’s major league roster. Bonser’s trip to the D.L., on the other hand, removes him (at least temporarily) from the competition for the Red Sox’ last two bullpen spots. That competition currently features right-handers Scott Atchison and Joe Nelson and left-handers Alan Embree and Scott Schoeneweis. Atchison is the only one of those pitchers with options remaining, suggesting that he would be the easiest to move between the majors and minors if Bonser is expected to be available shortly after the start of the season.
Bonser was 0-2 with an 11.57 ERA in four Grapefruit League appearances (7 innings) this spring. Lowrie was 2-for-9 in nine Grapefruit League plate appearances, and last played on March 11.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs