Bonser, Lowrie to start season on D.L.
|03.31.10 at 1:25 pm ET|
Red Sox pitcher Boof Bonser and infielder Jed Lowrie were both placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 26. Bonser, who missed all of 2009 after undergoing shoulder surgery, landed on the D.L. with a right groin strain that he incurred on March 22 in an outing against the Rays. Lowrie landed on the shelf due to his ongoing recovery from mononucleosis.
Lowrie was already expected to start the year in the minors, so his presence on the disabled list does not significantly impact the team’s major league roster. Bonser’s trip to the D.L., on the other hand, removes him (at least temporarily) from the competition for the Red Sox’ last two bullpen spots. That competition currently features right-handers Scott Atchison and Joe Nelson and left-handers Alan Embree and Scott Schoeneweis. Atchison is the only one of those pitchers with options remaining, suggesting that he would be the easiest to move between the majors and minors if Bonser is expected to be available shortly after the start of the season.
Bonser was 0-2 with an 11.57 ERA in four Grapefruit League appearances (7 innings) this spring. Lowrie was 2-for-9 in nine Grapefruit League plate appearances, and last played on March 11.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles