Despite Murphy injury, Mets not interested in Lowell
|03.31.10 at 11:33 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Mets — despite learning that starting first baseman Daniel Murphy will be out for 2-6 weeks with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee — are not interested in a trade for Red Sox corner infielder Mike Lowell. The Mets instead plan to stay in house with a replacement, and GM Omar Minaya told reporters today that New York will use Mike Jacobs as their starting first baseman with Murphy sidelined.
All evidence continues to point to Lowell being with the Sox as a backup on Opening Day. While the Rangers have shown the most interest of any club in acquiring the 36-year-old, the Sox and Texas do not appear to be close to a deal.
Meanwhile, Lowell would appear to have as much value to the Sox — if not more — than he does to any club. Lowell would serve as insurance for the Sox at third and first base, while also giving the Sox a strong platoon option with designated hitter David Ortiz.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven