Despite Murphy injury, Mets not interested in Lowell
|03.31.10 at 11:33 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Mets — despite learning that starting first baseman Daniel Murphy will be out for 2-6 weeks with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee — are not interested in a trade for Red Sox corner infielder Mike Lowell. The Mets instead plan to stay in house with a replacement, and GM Omar Minaya told reporters today that New York will use Mike Jacobs as their starting first baseman with Murphy sidelined.
All evidence continues to point to Lowell being with the Sox as a backup on Opening Day. While the Rangers have shown the most interest of any club in acquiring the 36-year-old, the Sox and Texas do not appear to be close to a deal.
Meanwhile, Lowell would appear to have as much value to the Sox — if not more — than he does to any club. Lowell would serve as insurance for the Sox at third and first base, while also giving the Sox a strong platoon option with designated hitter David Ortiz.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins