Schoeneweis earns Red Sox’ final spot
|04.01.10 at 9:29 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — According to a team source barring any last-minute waiver claims or trades lefty Scott Schoeneweis has earned the final spot on the Red Sox‘ roster. The 36-year-old fills out the Sox’ pitching staff, which will carry 12 hurlers. Schoeneweis beat out Joe Nelson, who will likely start the season in Triple A Pawtucket, but will join the Red Sox for their exhibition game in Washington D.C. against the Nationals Saturday. The 25-man roster has to be turned into Major League Baseball by 11:59 p.m. ET Saturday.
The news was first reported by ESPN.com.
Both pitchers appeared in the Red Sox’ 5-3 win over the Twins Thursday, with neither giving up a run in an inning of work. One factor working against Nelson was that he didn’t have any options, along with an opt-out date of June 1 (when he can become a free agent if he isn’t on the 25-man roster). Schoeneweis’ opt-out date is April 15. Scott Atchison, who also made the team, does have options. The Atchison move allows the Red Sox’ flexibility when Boof Bonser (groin) is ready to pitch, while the team would have no guarantees that Schoeneweis — who was signed to a minor league deal — would stick around if asked to go to the minors.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles