Schoeneweis earns Red Sox’ final spot
|04.01.10 at 9:29 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — According to a team source barring any last-minute waiver claims or trades lefty Scott Schoeneweis has earned the final spot on the Red Sox‘ roster. The 36-year-old fills out the Sox’ pitching staff, which will carry 12 hurlers. Schoeneweis beat out Joe Nelson, who will likely start the season in Triple A Pawtucket, but will join the Red Sox for their exhibition game in Washington D.C. against the Nationals Saturday. The 25-man roster has to be turned into Major League Baseball by 11:59 p.m. ET Saturday.
The news was first reported by ESPN.com.
Both pitchers appeared in the Red Sox’ 5-3 win over the Twins Thursday, with neither giving up a run in an inning of work. One factor working against Nelson was that he didn’t have any options, along with an opt-out date of June 1 (when he can become a free agent if he isn’t on the 25-man roster). Schoeneweis’ opt-out date is April 15. Scott Atchison, who also made the team, does have options. The Atchison move allows the Red Sox’ flexibility when Boof Bonser (groin) is ready to pitch, while the team would have no guarantees that Schoeneweis — who was signed to a minor league deal — would stick around if asked to go to the minors.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven