Schoeneweis earns Red Sox’ final spot
|04.01.10 at 9:29 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — According to a team source barring any last-minute waiver claims or trades lefty Scott Schoeneweis has earned the final spot on the Red Sox‘ roster. The 36-year-old fills out the Sox’ pitching staff, which will carry 12 hurlers. Schoeneweis beat out Joe Nelson, who will likely start the season in Triple A Pawtucket, but will join the Red Sox for their exhibition game in Washington D.C. against the Nationals Saturday. The 25-man roster has to be turned into Major League Baseball by 11:59 p.m. ET Saturday.
The news was first reported by ESPN.com.
Both pitchers appeared in the Red Sox’ 5-3 win over the Twins Thursday, with neither giving up a run in an inning of work. One factor working against Nelson was that he didn’t have any options, along with an opt-out date of June 1 (when he can become a free agent if he isn’t on the 25-man roster). Schoeneweis’ opt-out date is April 15. Scott Atchison, who also made the team, does have options. The Atchison move allows the Red Sox’ flexibility when Boof Bonser (groin) is ready to pitch, while the team would have no guarantees that Schoeneweis — who was signed to a minor league deal — would stick around if asked to go to the minors.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash