Martinez: Catching won’t be a deal-breaker
|04.03.10 at 11:37 am ET|
Speaking before the Red Sox‘ final Grapefruit League game, against the Nationals at City of Palms Park Friday, Victor Martinez said that he doesn’t feel like he will have to make sure that there are promises in his next contract that makes sure he remains a catcher.
“I don’t think I’m going to have to say that,” Martinez said. “I’ll just play where they need me to play. I just want to help my team win every night. If my body lets me catch, I’ll be more than happy to do it. I really like the position and I prepare myself to catch every day.” Martinez has expressed his preference for catching in the past, and will be serving as an everyday backstop this season for the first time since 2007.
Martinez told the Boston Herald that he won’t be discussing a contract extension during the season. ‘During the season, I really have enough to worry about, just playing the game,’ Martinez said. ‘I don’t want any distractions.’ The 31-year-old is in the final year of his contract with the Red Sox, who will be paying Martinez $7.5 million in ’10.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017