Martinez: Catching won’t be a deal-breaker
|04.03.10 at 11:37 am ET|
Speaking before the Red Sox‘ final Grapefruit League game, against the Nationals at City of Palms Park Friday, Victor Martinez said that he doesn’t feel like he will have to make sure that there are promises in his next contract that makes sure he remains a catcher.
“I don’t think I’m going to have to say that,” Martinez said. “I’ll just play where they need me to play. I just want to help my team win every night. If my body lets me catch, I’ll be more than happy to do it. I really like the position and I prepare myself to catch every day.” Martinez has expressed his preference for catching in the past, and will be serving as an everyday backstop this season for the first time since 2007.
Martinez told the Boston Herald that he won’t be discussing a contract extension during the season. ‘During the season, I really have enough to worry about, just playing the game,’ Martinez said. ‘I don’t want any distractions.’ The 31-year-old is in the final year of his contract with the Red Sox, who will be paying Martinez $7.5 million in ’10.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler