Martinez: Catching won’t be a deal-breaker
|04.03.10 at 11:37 am ET|
Speaking before the Red Sox‘ final Grapefruit League game, against the Nationals at City of Palms Park Friday, Victor Martinez said that he doesn’t feel like he will have to make sure that there are promises in his next contract that makes sure he remains a catcher.
“I don’t think I’m going to have to say that,” Martinez said. “I’ll just play where they need me to play. I just want to help my team win every night. If my body lets me catch, I’ll be more than happy to do it. I really like the position and I prepare myself to catch every day.” Martinez has expressed his preference for catching in the past, and will be serving as an everyday backstop this season for the first time since 2007.
Martinez told the Boston Herald that he won’t be discussing a contract extension during the season. ‘During the season, I really have enough to worry about, just playing the game,’ Martinez said. ‘I don’t want any distractions.’ The 31-year-old is in the final year of his contract with the Red Sox, who will be paying Martinez $7.5 million in ’10.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston