Martinez: Catching won’t be a deal-breaker
|04.03.10 at 11:37 am ET|
Speaking before the Red Sox‘ final Grapefruit League game, against the Nationals at City of Palms Park Friday, Victor Martinez said that he doesn’t feel like he will have to make sure that there are promises in his next contract that makes sure he remains a catcher.
“I don’t think I’m going to have to say that,” Martinez said. “I’ll just play where they need me to play. I just want to help my team win every night. If my body lets me catch, I’ll be more than happy to do it. I really like the position and I prepare myself to catch every day.” Martinez has expressed his preference for catching in the past, and will be serving as an everyday backstop this season for the first time since 2007.
Martinez told the Boston Herald that he won’t be discussing a contract extension during the season. ‘During the season, I really have enough to worry about, just playing the game,’ Martinez said. ‘I don’t want any distractions.’ The 31-year-old is in the final year of his contract with the Red Sox, who will be paying Martinez $7.5 million in ’10.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller