Red Sox vs. Yankees matchups, 4/6
|04.06.10 at 1:08 pm ET|
So much for the pitching matchup.
Opening Night was supposed to be a showcase of two aces ‘ the Red Sox‘ Josh Beckett and the Yankees‘ CC Sabathia ‘ but instead it turned into a slugfest, with the Sox emerging with a 9-7 victory. Instead of the Sox showcasing their new defensive-minded team, the bats took center stage Sunday night.
Tuesday could be different, with Jon Lester going to the mound for the first time in the 2010 regular season to face A.J. Burnett. Which Lester we see, however, will play a factor in that. In 2008, the southpaw flummoxed the Yankees in his three starts, going 2-0 with a 1.19 ERA, including a complete-game shutout in a 7-0 Sox win.
But last season, Lester proved mortal against New York. He went 1-1 with a 4.43 ERA against the Yanks, including his last start against the Bronx Bombers on Sept. 25, when he gave up five earned runs in a 9-5 loss, pitching just 2-1/3 innings and limping away after taking a liner off his leg (narrowly avoiding a catastrophe as it just missed his kneecap).
Burnett’s path vs. Boston follows a similar arc. During his three-year stint as a member of the Toronto Blue Jays, the hard-throwing righty was a Red Sox killer, going 5-0 over that period. But in his first season in a New York uniform, he was hit hard in his four starts against the Sox, going 0-2 with a whopping 8.84 ERA. He gave up at least five runs in three of the four games, including a particularly ugly nine-run outing in the fourth start in which he was tagged for three homers.
Control was a problem for the Yanks’ No. 2 starter, as he had 16 walks in those games. Still, Burnett did show flashes of his previous form against Boston in August when he allowed just one hit over 7-2/3 innings in a no-decision, despite allowing six walks. Even more so than Lester, which Burnett shows up on the mound will be the key in this game.
Red Sox vs. A.J. Burnett
Dustin Pedroia (34 plate appearances): .280 average/.471 OBP/.520 slugging, 2 home runs, 9 walks, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (34): .273/.294/.667, 4 doubles, 3 home runs, 1 walk, 11 strikeouts
Kevin Youkilis (32): .259/.375/.370, 1 home run, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (31): .269/.387/.385, 3 doubles, 5 walks, 6 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (28): .231/.286/.500, 4 doubles, 1 home run, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (25): .261/.292/.391, 1 home run, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Victor Martinez (23): .235/.435/.294, 5 walks, 1 strikeout
Marco Scutaro (21): .316/ .381/.368, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Mike Cameron (13): .364/.385/.909, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Yankees vs. Jon Lester
Derek Jeter (26 plate appearances): .375 average/.423 OBP/.375 slugging percentage, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts
Robinson Cano (22): .227/.227/.318, 4 strikeouts
Nick Swisher (20): .133/.300/.400, 1 home run, 4 walks, 6 strikeouts
Alex Rodriguez (17): .250/.294/.688, 2 home runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Jorge Posada (14): .231/.286/.231, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Mark Teixeira (14): .286/.286/.500, 1 home run, 4 strikeouts
Likely starter Nick Johnson was retired in each of his three plate appearances vs. Lester as a member of the Nationals last season. The Sox starter has not faced two of the Yankees starters ‘ Brett Gardner and Curtis Granderson.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.