Sox asked Beckett for medical contingency
|04.06.10 at 7:02 am ET|
According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Red Sox had initially asked Josh Beckett to include a medical contingency in the pitcher’s contract, with the team offering an increase in the financial terms in exchange for the clause.
Ultimately there was no such contingency put in place in the four-year, $68 million contract extension agreed on by Beckett and the Sox, with the physical examinations administered by both the team and the insurance company ending up being satisfactory enough for the team to secure protection via insurance if it decided to go that route.
“We have outstanding health reports. ‘¦ All the testing now is better than it’s ever been. The commitment that we made today demonstrates that,” Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. “We kind of put our money where our mouth is. He’s a guy who is insurable. He’s someone who we count on to be as healthy as he’s been. And look at what he’s done for us. He’s been remarkably consistent. He’s thrown as many innings as anybody. There’s not a medical reason why that shouldn’t continue with the work that he’s put in to create a foundation for his success health-wise.”
The source also indicated that Beckett’s initial contract request exceeded that of the deal signed by Carlos Zambrano, who received a five-year, $91.5 million deal with a vesting option in 2013 that could pay the pitcher $19.5 million.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles