Sox asked Beckett for medical contingency
|04.06.10 at 7:02 am ET|
According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Red Sox had initially asked Josh Beckett to include a medical contingency in the pitcher’s contract, with the team offering an increase in the financial terms in exchange for the clause.
Ultimately there was no such contingency put in place in the four-year, $68 million contract extension agreed on by Beckett and the Sox, with the physical examinations administered by both the team and the insurance company ending up being satisfactory enough for the team to secure protection via insurance if it decided to go that route.
“We have outstanding health reports. ‘¦ All the testing now is better than it’s ever been. The commitment that we made today demonstrates that,” Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. “We kind of put our money where our mouth is. He’s a guy who is insurable. He’s someone who we count on to be as healthy as he’s been. And look at what he’s done for us. He’s been remarkably consistent. He’s thrown as many innings as anybody. There’s not a medical reason why that shouldn’t continue with the work that he’s put in to create a foundation for his success health-wise.”
The source also indicated that Beckett’s initial contract request exceeded that of the deal signed by Carlos Zambrano, who received a five-year, $91.5 million deal with a vesting option in 2013 that could pay the pitcher $19.5 million.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster