Sox asked Beckett for medical contingency
|04.06.10 at 7:02 am ET|
According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Red Sox had initially asked Josh Beckett to include a medical contingency in the pitcher’s contract, with the team offering an increase in the financial terms in exchange for the clause.
Ultimately there was no such contingency put in place in the four-year, $68 million contract extension agreed on by Beckett and the Sox, with the physical examinations administered by both the team and the insurance company ending up being satisfactory enough for the team to secure protection via insurance if it decided to go that route.
“We have outstanding health reports. ‘¦ All the testing now is better than it’s ever been. The commitment that we made today demonstrates that,” Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. “We kind of put our money where our mouth is. He’s a guy who is insurable. He’s someone who we count on to be as healthy as he’s been. And look at what he’s done for us. He’s been remarkably consistent. He’s thrown as many innings as anybody. There’s not a medical reason why that shouldn’t continue with the work that he’s put in to create a foundation for his success health-wise.”
The source also indicated that Beckett’s initial contract request exceeded that of the deal signed by Carlos Zambrano, who received a five-year, $91.5 million deal with a vesting option in 2013 that could pay the pitcher $19.5 million.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller