The ‘other’ Opening Days
|04.06.10 at 1:13 pm ET|
While the Red Sox revel in their 48 hours of being undefeated, we can take the time to look at what happened while you were hibernating between Sox-Yanks games:
— Roy Halladay started his march toward 40 wins, allowing one run on six hits over seven innings, striking out nine and walking a pair in the Phillies’ 11-1 win over the Nationals. Remarkably, he only threw 88 pitches. Only twice last season did Halladay not throw more than 88 pitches. He also had a hit.
— This just in: Albert Pujols is still really, really good. The Cardinals first baseman had four hits and two home runs. That’s right, he is on pace for 324 homers, which for every other player seems silly to mention, but somehow it seems possible for Pujols. St. Louis beat Cincy, 11-6.
— Jason Bay‘s knees are still intact after the Mets’ 7-1 win over the Marlins, and not only that, but he also notched two hits. New York also enjoyed its once-every-fifth-day splash of good pitching with Johan Santana‘s six-inning win.’
— The Dodgers found that Vincente Padilla isn’t a No. 1 starter, and that Manny Ramirez can still hit a bit. The end-game: Dodgers drop an 11-5 decision to Pittsburgh and Manny gets two knocks and two RBI.
— So much for the “great Jason Frasor as a closer experiment,” with Frasor handing the Rangers a 5-4 win over the Blue Jays by giving up two runs on four hits in just a third of an inning. Then again, the Jays’ closing options are limited. Oh, and old friend Alex Gonzalez had a hit and didn’t make an error.
— In the battle of young center fielders named Carlos, both Colorado’s Carlos Gonzalez and Milwaukee’s Carlos Gomez had four hits apiece, but Gonzalez’ team came out on top with a 5-3 win. (Maybe it was because he moved to left field later in the game.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela