Vote: Should the Sox have pinch-hit for Ortiz?
|04.07.10 at 2:01 am ET|
The Red Sox trailed entering the bottom of the eighth inning, 5-4. Kevin Youkilis led off the inning with a double, bringing David Ortiz to the plate with a runner on second and no outs. Yankees manager Joe Girardi summoned left-hander Damaso Marte from the bullpen to face Ortiz.
Entering Tuesday, Ortiz was 2-for-14 (.143) with a homer and three walks against Marte. He is hitless in his last nine at-bats against Marte, but did work a walk against him in Sunday’s game.
Mike Lowell was available as a pinch-hitter. Though 0-for-1 in his career against Marte, Lowell hit .301 with an .867 OPS against lefties in 2009. Ortiz, meanwhile, hit .212 with a .716 OPS against southpaws.
Manager Terry Francona elected to stick with Ortiz, who flied to shallow center and failed to advance Youkilis. After the game, Francona said that it was too early in the season to consider pinch-hitting for Ortiz.
“With two games into the season, I don’t think we need to start [pinch-hitting], not because I don’t think [Lowell] couldn’t do it, but just because I think the big picture needs to be remembered,” said Francona.
Do you agree?
Should the Red Sox have pinch-hit for David Ortiz on Tuesday?
- Yes -- Lowell should have been up against Marte (80%, 384 Votes)
- No -- Ortiz should have batted against Marte (20%, 97 Votes)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP