Vote: Should the Sox have pinch-hit for Ortiz?
|04.07.10 at 2:01 am ET|
The Red Sox trailed entering the bottom of the eighth inning, 5-4. Kevin Youkilis led off the inning with a double, bringing David Ortiz to the plate with a runner on second and no outs. Yankees manager Joe Girardi summoned left-hander Damaso Marte from the bullpen to face Ortiz.
Entering Tuesday, Ortiz was 2-for-14 (.143) with a homer and three walks against Marte. He is hitless in his last nine at-bats against Marte, but did work a walk against him in Sunday’s game.
Mike Lowell was available as a pinch-hitter. Though 0-for-1 in his career against Marte, Lowell hit .301 with an .867 OPS against lefties in 2009. Ortiz, meanwhile, hit .212 with a .716 OPS against southpaws.
Manager Terry Francona elected to stick with Ortiz, who flied to shallow center and failed to advance Youkilis. After the game, Francona said that it was too early in the season to consider pinch-hitting for Ortiz.
“With two games into the season, I don’t think we need to start [pinch-hitting], not because I don’t think [Lowell] couldn’t do it, but just because I think the big picture needs to be remembered,” said Francona.
Do you agree?
Should the Red Sox have pinch-hit for David Ortiz on Tuesday?
- Yes -- Lowell should have been up against Marte (80%, 384 Votes)
- No -- Ortiz should have batted against Marte (20%, 97 Votes)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs