Vote: Should the Sox have pinch-hit for Ortiz?
|04.07.10 at 2:01 am ET|
The Red Sox trailed entering the bottom of the eighth inning, 5-4. Kevin Youkilis led off the inning with a double, bringing David Ortiz to the plate with a runner on second and no outs. Yankees manager Joe Girardi summoned left-hander Damaso Marte from the bullpen to face Ortiz.
Entering Tuesday, Ortiz was 2-for-14 (.143) with a homer and three walks against Marte. He is hitless in his last nine at-bats against Marte, but did work a walk against him in Sunday’s game.
Mike Lowell was available as a pinch-hitter. Though 0-for-1 in his career against Marte, Lowell hit .301 with an .867 OPS against lefties in 2009. Ortiz, meanwhile, hit .212 with a .716 OPS against southpaws.
Manager Terry Francona elected to stick with Ortiz, who flied to shallow center and failed to advance Youkilis. After the game, Francona said that it was too early in the season to consider pinch-hitting for Ortiz.
“With two games into the season, I don’t think we need to start [pinch-hitting], not because I don’t think [Lowell] couldn’t do it, but just because I think the big picture needs to be remembered,” said Francona.
Do you agree?
Should the Red Sox have pinch-hit for David Ortiz on Tuesday?
- Yes -- Lowell should have been up against Marte (80%, 384 Votes)
- No -- Ortiz should have batted against Marte (20%, 97 Votes)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis