Vote: Should the Sox have pinch-hit for Ortiz?
|04.07.10 at 2:01 am ET|
The Red Sox trailed entering the bottom of the eighth inning, 5-4. Kevin Youkilis led off the inning with a double, bringing David Ortiz to the plate with a runner on second and no outs. Yankees manager Joe Girardi summoned left-hander Damaso Marte from the bullpen to face Ortiz.
Entering Tuesday, Ortiz was 2-for-14 (.143) with a homer and three walks against Marte. He is hitless in his last nine at-bats against Marte, but did work a walk against him in Sunday’s game.
Mike Lowell was available as a pinch-hitter. Though 0-for-1 in his career against Marte, Lowell hit .301 with an .867 OPS against lefties in 2009. Ortiz, meanwhile, hit .212 with a .716 OPS against southpaws.
Manager Terry Francona elected to stick with Ortiz, who flied to shallow center and failed to advance Youkilis. After the game, Francona said that it was too early in the season to consider pinch-hitting for Ortiz.
“With two games into the season, I don’t think we need to start [pinch-hitting], not because I don’t think [Lowell] couldn’t do it, but just because I think the big picture needs to be remembered,” said Francona.
Do you agree?
Should the Red Sox have pinch-hit for David Ortiz on Tuesday?
- Yes -- Lowell should have been up against Marte (80%, 384 Votes)
- No -- Ortiz should have batted against Marte (20%, 97 Votes)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies