Red Sox vs. Royals matchups, 4/10
|04.10.10 at 5:40 pm ET|
Instead, Beckett will take to the mound at Kauffman Stadium to face the Kansas City Royals. Though the Royals might not be as daunting an opposition offensively, their pitcher will be every bit as good as CC Sabathia, as reigning AL Cy Young winner Zach Greinke will be on the hill for KC.
Greinke went six innings in his first start of the season against Detroit on Monday, allowing 2 runs (one earned) and six hits while striking out four. The Royals couldn’t take advantage of his effort, however, as they ultimately lost the game 8-4.
Greinke only saw the Sox once last season, when he went six innings on September 22, allowing just two hits and racking up five strikeouts, in a 5-1 KC win. He did have some trouble with control, however, as he walked three on the day. In his career, Greinke has started three games against the Sox with a record of 1-2. Despite that, in terms of teams that he has made more than one start against his 2.49 ERA against Boston is second best, trailing only the his efforts vs. the Seattle Mariners, who Greinke has a 3-0 record and 2.14 ERA against in six starts.
Beckett will be trying to rebound from his opening outing of 2010, when he went just 4 2/3 and allowed five earned against the Yankees. More troubling might have been the back-to-back homers he gave up to Jorge Posada and Curtis Granderson, as the long ball plagued Beckett at times last season.
Facing the Royals might be just what Beckett needs to find his groove, as he is 5-0 with a 2.03 ERA in seven career starts against KC. Last season Beckett was 2-0 with a 1.20 ERA and 14 strikeouts vs. the Royals, including a complete game shutout at Fenway on July 12. The second performance might have been somewhat deceiving, however, as the Royals had 12 hits off Beckett in his six innings of work on September 23 but could not manufacture runs in a 9-2 Sox win.
Here are the career numbers for each starter against their respective opponent.
Red Sox vs. Zach Greinke
Victor Martinez (45 plate appearances vs. Greinke): .341 average/.400 OBP/.439 slugging, 1 home run, 4 walks, 4 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (17): .375/.42/.625, 4 doubles, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (10): .250/.300/.250, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (10): .100/.200/.300, 4 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (9): .375/.444/.500, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jason Varitek (8): .143/.250/.571, 1 home run, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Kevin Youkilis (8): .000/.25/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (7): .400/.571/.600, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Bill Hall (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Lowell (4): .750/.750/1.000, 1 double
Mike Cameron (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 walk
Jacoby Ellsbury and Jeremy Hermida have both faced Greinke three times, with the Kansas City righty retiring them each time.
Royals vs. Josh Beckett
Jose Guillen (26 plate appearances against Beckett): .250 average/.269 OPS/.292 slugging, 4 strikeouts
David DeJesus (22): .190/.227/.286, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Jason Kendall (21): .125/.333/.125, 5 walks, 2 strikeouts
Yuniesky Betancourt (14) .462/.500/.923, 1 triple, 1 home run, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Billy Butler (11): .182/.182/.182, 5 strikeouts
Scott Podsednik (11): .500/.545/.500. 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mitch Maier (10): .444/.444/.444, 2 strikeouts
Alberto Callasp (9): .111/.111/.111, 3 strikeouts
Brayan Pena (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk
Mike Aviles (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Roman Colon and Chris Getz have faced Beckett two and three times, respectivly, and have been retired by the Sox righty each time. Beckett has never faced Rick Ankiel or Willie Bloomquist.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller