DeVoss shows what Red Sox almost had…
|04.11.10 at 2:16 pm ET|
Not every player signs after being drafted. Each June, the Sox aim high in selecting players who have signability questions, with the expectation that they’ll some sizable piles of cash will convince some to turn pro and will leave others unmoved.
Last summer, among those signability questions, the one who came closest to signing but still enrolled in school was Zeke DeVoss. DeVoss is a tremendously athletic player who was taken in the 38th round, having slipped there because there seemed little chance that he would bypass college. The Sox nearly convinced him to change his made, and the two sides made significant negotiating headway before DeVoss ultimately decided to honor his scholarship commitment at the University of Miami. (While discussions were characterized by sources as having come “close,” they never advanced to the point where DeVoss took a physical for the club.)
DeVoss is off to a solid if unspectacular start for the Hurricanes. Entering today’s game, the center fielder is hitting .282/.367/.456 with a pair of homers and 11 steals. But on Saturday, he showed the kind of well-rounded tool set that were the basis of the Sox’ enthusiasm for him.
The switch-hitting DeVoss went 2-for-4 with a homer. But that was far from his signature moment of the day. For that, one would point to his outrageous over-the-shoulder diving catch, which can be found at about the 1:40 mark of the clip below. The Sox anticipated such feats last summer, when DeVoss was among the top “ones who got away” from a draft class that nevertheless appeared rich on promise in spring training this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando