DeVoss shows what Red Sox almost had…
|04.11.10 at 2:16 pm ET|
Not every player signs after being drafted. Each June, the Sox aim high in selecting players who have signability questions, with the expectation that they’ll some sizable piles of cash will convince some to turn pro and will leave others unmoved.
Last summer, among those signability questions, the one who came closest to signing but still enrolled in school was Zeke DeVoss. DeVoss is a tremendously athletic player who was taken in the 38th round, having slipped there because there seemed little chance that he would bypass college. The Sox nearly convinced him to change his made, and the two sides made significant negotiating headway before DeVoss ultimately decided to honor his scholarship commitment at the University of Miami. (While discussions were characterized by sources as having come “close,” they never advanced to the point where DeVoss took a physical for the club.)
DeVoss is off to a solid if unspectacular start for the Hurricanes. Entering today’s game, the center fielder is hitting .282/.367/.456 with a pair of homers and 11 steals. But on Saturday, he showed the kind of well-rounded tool set that were the basis of the Sox’ enthusiasm for him.
The switch-hitting DeVoss went 2-for-4 with a homer. But that was far from his signature moment of the day. For that, one would point to his outrageous over-the-shoulder diving catch, which can be found at about the 1:40 mark of the clip below. The Sox anticipated such feats last summer, when DeVoss was among the top “ones who got away” from a draft class that nevertheless appeared rich on promise in spring training this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing
- Cup of Coffee: Couch dominates Richmond
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez dominates while Kukuk and Ball struggle
- Manuel Margot promoted to High A Salem