Matsuzaka ‘ready to pitch in the big leagues’
|04.15.10 at 10:05 pm ET|
Pitching in his second game with the Pawtucket Red Sox, Daisuke Matsuzaka allowed just three hits and no walks while striking out a pair over six scoreless innings against the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. The 86-pitch outing comes five days after he had thrown five shutout innings vs. Rochester at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket.
The right-hander, who is rehabbing from neck and back ailments, faced 21 batters, throwing 57 strikes. He allowed 12 fly-ball outs compared to the four outs coming on grounders. Former Red Sox first baseman Chris Carter managed one of the three hits (a double) against Matsuzaka.
Matsuzaka has now thrown 11 shutout innings in his two outings with Triple-A Pawtucket. While Red Sox manager Terry Francona suggested at the start of the season that the right-hander would likely need at least three rehab outings, the 29-year-old felt otherwise.
“I think I’ve thrown enough pitches at this point to be ready to pitch in the big leagues,” Matsuzaka told reporters in Buffalo. “When compared to the second time I went on the DL last year, it took me a really long time to have that feeling. You can’t even compare them right now. I’m confident I can pitch in the big leagues.”
For more on the outing, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart continues to sizzle, Witte impresses for Sea Dogs
- Red Sox to recall Jackie Bradley Jr. from Pawtucket