Matsuzaka ‘ready to pitch in the big leagues’
|04.15.10 at 10:05 pm ET|
Pitching in his second game with the Pawtucket Red Sox, Daisuke Matsuzaka allowed just three hits and no walks while striking out a pair over six scoreless innings against the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. The 86-pitch outing comes five days after he had thrown five shutout innings vs. Rochester at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket.
The right-hander, who is rehabbing from neck and back ailments, faced 21 batters, throwing 57 strikes. He allowed 12 fly-ball outs compared to the four outs coming on grounders. Former Red Sox first baseman Chris Carter managed one of the three hits (a double) against Matsuzaka.
Matsuzaka has now thrown 11 shutout innings in his two outings with Triple-A Pawtucket. While Red Sox manager Terry Francona suggested at the start of the season that the right-hander would likely need at least three rehab outings, the 29-year-old felt otherwise.
“I think I’ve thrown enough pitches at this point to be ready to pitch in the big leagues,” Matsuzaka told reporters in Buffalo. “When compared to the second time I went on the DL last year, it took me a really long time to have that feeling. You can’t even compare them right now. I’m confident I can pitch in the big leagues.”
For more on the outing, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game