Kidney stone for Cameron
|04.16.10 at 11:03 am ET|
Red Sox outfielder Mike Cameron received an initial diagnosis of a kidney stone on Thursday in Minnesota, his agent, Mike Nicotera, confirmed in a text message. (The news was first reported by ESPN’s Gordon Edes.) Nicotera said that Cameron, who is back in Boston, will receive a “full workup today” and that more about his prognosis (including his expected duration on the sidelines) will be known once that is complete.
The Sox had been hoping to rule out appendicitis for the 37-year-old outfielder, who is currently hitting .217/.357/.261/.618. An appendectomy would have all but guaranteed a trip to the disabled list for the center fielder.
While a kidney stone would represent a less severe issue, however, it does not necessarily mean that Cameron will be returning in the immediate future. In recent seasons, there are instances of players who have spent no more than a few games sidelined by the condition (Marlon Byrd and Bobby Jenks both missed three games due to kidney stones last year) and others (such as Miguel Olivo in 2004) who have landed on the disabled list with the condition. In 2006, Coco Crisp was delayed by more than a week in his return from a broken index finger due to kidney stones.
With Cameron and Jacoby Ellsbury (sore ribs) ailing, the Red Sox may need to dip into the minor leagues for a replacement as they prepare to host the Tampa Bay Rays in a four-game series. Click here to read about one of the candidates, Pawtucket Red Sox outfielder Josh Reddick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem