Kidney stone for Cameron
|04.16.10 at 11:03 am ET|
Red Sox outfielder Mike Cameron received an initial diagnosis of a kidney stone on Thursday in Minnesota, his agent, Mike Nicotera, confirmed in a text message. (The news was first reported by ESPN’s Gordon Edes.) Nicotera said that Cameron, who is back in Boston, will receive a “full workup today” and that more about his prognosis (including his expected duration on the sidelines) will be known once that is complete.
The Sox had been hoping to rule out appendicitis for the 37-year-old outfielder, who is currently hitting .217/.357/.261/.618. An appendectomy would have all but guaranteed a trip to the disabled list for the center fielder.
While a kidney stone would represent a less severe issue, however, it does not necessarily mean that Cameron will be returning in the immediate future. In recent seasons, there are instances of players who have spent no more than a few games sidelined by the condition (Marlon Byrd and Bobby Jenks both missed three games due to kidney stones last year) and others (such as Miguel Olivo in 2004) who have landed on the disabled list with the condition. In 2006, Coco Crisp was delayed by more than a week in his return from a broken index finger due to kidney stones.
With Cameron and Jacoby Ellsbury (sore ribs) ailing, the Red Sox may need to dip into the minor leagues for a replacement as they prepare to host the Tampa Bay Rays in a four-game series. Click here to read about one of the candidates, Pawtucket Red Sox outfielder Josh Reddick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins