Red Sox vs. Rangers, 4/20
|04.20.10 at 11:31 am ET|
If the Red Sox are going to get off this nasty five-game losing streak they will need Tim Wakefield to repeat his performance from his first start, rather than his second. Wakefield, despite not earning the victory, pitched a solid seven innings of two run ball in Kansas City, but hit a big thud in Minnesota, giving up six runs (five earned) in an 8-0 loss.
The Rangers and Wakefield are no strangers. The knuckleballer has appeared in 33 games (26 starts) against Texas, and he sports a not to kind 10-15 record with a 5.98 ERA in his career. New Ranger, Vladimir Guerrero, has feasted on the knuckleball in his career, as he has hit five homers off of Wakefield in 30 plate appearances. The rest of the Ranger lineup has been so-so vs. Wakefield, and most of their younger players have yet to face the veteran pitcher.
Rangers starter Colby Lewis has only appeared in five games (one start) against the Sox in his career. Lewis has pitched well in his first two starts, as he is 2-0 with a 2.19 ERA to begin this season. The Red Sox bats have been quiet, to say the least, but maybe a new opponent at Fenway Park can turn this slump around.
RANGERS VS. TIM WAKEFIELD
Michael Young (49 plate appearances) : .233 average/ .327 OBP/ .395 slugging percentages, 2 homers, 4 walks, 6 strikeouts
Vladimir Guerrero (30): .429/ .600/ .1.190, 5 homers, 9 walks, 3 strikeouts
Ian Kinsler (13): .154/ .154/ .385, 1 homer, 3 strikeouts
Ryan Garko (9): .143/ .333/ .143, 2 walks
Josh Hamilton (6): .333/ .333/ .333
David Murphy: 0-for-3, 1 strikeout
Nelson Cruz: 0-for-0, 1 walk
Chris Davis: 0-for-0, 1 walk
Never faced: Elvis Andrus, Joaquin Arias, Andres Blanco, Julio Borbon, Taylor Teagarden, Matt Treanor
RED SOX VS. COLBY LEWIS
Mike Cameron (17 plate appearances): .200 average/ .294 OBP/ .400 slugging percentage, 1 homers, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
David Ortiz: 2-for-5, 2 homers, 1 walk
Jason Varitek: 0-for-4, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia: 0-for-2
Marco Scutaro: 0-for-2
Adrian Beltre: 1-for-1
J.D. Drew: 0-for-1
Jacoby Ellsbury: 0-for-1
Mike Lowell: 0-for-1
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?