Atchison to be sent down, Castro to be called up
|04.27.10 at 12:11 am ET|
TORONTO — According to team sources, the Red Sox will send reliever Scott Atchison to Triple A Pawtucket to make room for relief pitcher Fabio Castro, who is scheduled to join the major league team for its game against the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre Tuesday night.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona insinuated after his team’s 13-12 win over the Blue Jays Monday night that the Sox might need help in the bullpen after their relievers totaled six innings of work. The Red Sox’ relievers have worked 9 1/3 innings over the past two games.
Castro has been starting for the PawSox, having compiled an 8.10 ERA in three appearances. His last outing came April 22 when the lefty allowed six runs in three innings to Lehigh Valley. The 25-year-old last pitched in the majors with Philadelphia in 2007, having also appeared in four of his 30 big leagues games with Texas in ’06.
Atchison threw 1 2/3 innings for the Red Sox Monday coming on for Josh Beckett after the starter walked the first two batters in the fourth inning. The 34-year-old reliever, who made the team after spending the previous two seasons in Japan, had allowed runs in all but two of his seven appearances with the Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick