Atchison to be sent down, Castro to be called up
|04.27.10 at 12:11 am ET|
TORONTO — According to team sources, the Red Sox will send reliever Scott Atchison to Triple A Pawtucket to make room for relief pitcher Fabio Castro, who is scheduled to join the major league team for its game against the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre Tuesday night.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona insinuated after his team’s 13-12 win over the Blue Jays Monday night that the Sox might need help in the bullpen after their relievers totaled six innings of work. The Red Sox’ relievers have worked 9 1/3 innings over the past two games.
Castro has been starting for the PawSox, having compiled an 8.10 ERA in three appearances. His last outing came April 22 when the lefty allowed six runs in three innings to Lehigh Valley. The 25-year-old last pitched in the majors with Philadelphia in 2007, having also appeared in four of his 30 big leagues games with Texas in ’06.
Atchison threw 1 2/3 innings for the Red Sox Monday coming on for Josh Beckett after the starter walked the first two batters in the fourth inning. The 34-year-old reliever, who made the team after spending the previous two seasons in Japan, had allowed runs in all but two of his seven appearances with the Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP