Ortiz wants to play ‘two or three more years’
|04.27.10 at 6:40 pm ET|
TORONTO — Speaking before the Red Sox‘ game with the Blue Jays Tuesday night at the Rogers Centre David Ortiz said that he would like to play “two or three more years” beyond the 2010 season. “I’ll be 37 or 38,” he said. “Two or three more years and then I’ll take it to the house.”
Ortiz referenced coming into the majors as a 21-year-old and how far away playing in his mid-30’s seemed. “Time has gone fast, really fast,” he said. “I never thought it would happen this fast. I talked to all those (Twins teammates) and they said, ‘It goes fast, believe me.’ And they were right.”
The 34-year-old is in the final year of his contract with the Red Sox, who have a $12.5 team option on the DH for the 2012 season.
Ortiz also mentioned how he has lost 20 pounds by improving his diet, which was a process he began following the 2009 season. “I don’t really know how I did it, but I did it,” he said. “I was eating too much so I started right after the season. I feel a lot better when I run. I’ve always been a good athlete since I was a kid, but as I got older I started losing it. But for a big guy I think I run pretty good.”
Ortiz is in the lineup Tuesday, hitting sixth, after not starting in four of the last six games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller