Ortiz wants to play ‘two or three more years’
|04.27.10 at 6:40 pm ET|
TORONTO — Speaking before the Red Sox‘ game with the Blue Jays Tuesday night at the Rogers Centre David Ortiz said that he would like to play “two or three more years” beyond the 2010 season. “I’ll be 37 or 38,” he said. “Two or three more years and then I’ll take it to the house.”
Ortiz referenced coming into the majors as a 21-year-old and how far away playing in his mid-30’s seemed. “Time has gone fast, really fast,” he said. “I never thought it would happen this fast. I talked to all those (Twins teammates) and they said, ‘It goes fast, believe me.’ And they were right.”
The 34-year-old is in the final year of his contract with the Red Sox, who have a $12.5 team option on the DH for the 2012 season.
Ortiz also mentioned how he has lost 20 pounds by improving his diet, which was a process he began following the 2009 season. “I don’t really know how I did it, but I did it,” he said. “I was eating too much so I started right after the season. I feel a lot better when I run. I’ve always been a good athlete since I was a kid, but as I got older I started losing it. But for a big guy I think I run pretty good.”
Ortiz is in the lineup Tuesday, hitting sixth, after not starting in four of the last six games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort