Lars Anderson promoted to Triple A
|04.29.10 at 4:51 pm ET|
Red Sox prospect Lars Anderson was promoted from Double-A Portland to Triple-A Pawtucket on Thursday. Anderson is expected to make his PawSox debut at McCoy Stadium on either Thursday or Friday night.
Anderson, 22, was hitting .355/.408/.677/1.086 in 17 games for Portland this season. He ranked third in the Eastern League in batting and was tied for second in both homers (5) and RBI (16). He also led the league with a .677 slugging pct. and was tied for second in total bases with 42.
The left-handed-swinging Anderson, who struggled throughout the 2009 season in Double A, was described as once again driving the ball to all fields in 2010 after becoming pull-heavy in his approach at times last year. Members of the Red Sox organization suggested that he was taking a more relaxed approach to the game this year, something that helped his on-field performance.
The first baseman had reached base safely in 16 of his 17 games played, had a season-high seven-game hitting streak from April 11-19 (9-for-24, .375) and was amidst a six-game hitting streak with the Sea Dogs (10-for-21, .476) at this time of his promotion to Pawtucket. He hit .350 vs. lefty pitching (7-for-20) and .357 vs. right-handed pitching (15-for-42 with all 5 HR). Anderson, who predominately batted fifth in the Portland lineup this season, went 3-for-4 with a run scored in his last Sea Dogs’ game on Tuesday night to lead Portland to a 2-0 win at Binghamton. In his previous game last Sunday he was 2-for-5 with a season-high four RBI including an RBI single in the seventh inning and a tiebreaking three-run home run in the ninth inning to give Portland a 9-5 victory at Trenton.
Anderson, who is ranked as Boston’s No. 4 prospect by Baseball America after earning the No. 1 ranking prior to the 2009 season, spent all of last season with Portland and was a midseason Eastern League All-Star.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell