Lars Anderson promoted to Triple A
|04.29.10 at 4:51 pm ET|
Red Sox prospect Lars Anderson was promoted from Double-A Portland to Triple-A Pawtucket on Thursday. Anderson is expected to make his PawSox debut at McCoy Stadium on either Thursday or Friday night.
Anderson, 22, was hitting .355/.408/.677/1.086 in 17 games for Portland this season. He ranked third in the Eastern League in batting and was tied for second in both homers (5) and RBI (16). He also led the league with a .677 slugging pct. and was tied for second in total bases with 42.
The left-handed-swinging Anderson, who struggled throughout the 2009 season in Double A, was described as once again driving the ball to all fields in 2010 after becoming pull-heavy in his approach at times last year. Members of the Red Sox organization suggested that he was taking a more relaxed approach to the game this year, something that helped his on-field performance.
The first baseman had reached base safely in 16 of his 17 games played, had a season-high seven-game hitting streak from April 11-19 (9-for-24, .375) and was amidst a six-game hitting streak with the Sea Dogs (10-for-21, .476) at this time of his promotion to Pawtucket. He hit .350 vs. lefty pitching (7-for-20) and .357 vs. right-handed pitching (15-for-42 with all 5 HR). Anderson, who predominately batted fifth in the Portland lineup this season, went 3-for-4 with a run scored in his last Sea Dogs’ game on Tuesday night to lead Portland to a 2-0 win at Binghamton. In his previous game last Sunday he was 2-for-5 with a season-high four RBI including an RBI single in the seventh inning and a tiebreaking three-run home run in the ninth inning to give Portland a 9-5 victory at Trenton.
Anderson, who is ranked as Boston’s No. 4 prospect by Baseball America after earning the No. 1 ranking prior to the 2009 season, spent all of last season with Portland and was a midseason Eastern League All-Star.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings