Red Sox vs. Orioles matchups, 4/30
|04.30.10 at 3:04 pm ET|
It was a nice trip to Toronto for the Red Sox, as they swept the Blue Jays to get back to .500 on the season, at 11-11. Now they will face a familiar opponent ‘ the Baltimore Orioles, who the Sox took two of three from last week.
John Lackey will be on the hill in Friday night’s game, getting his second crack at the Orioles this season. Baltimore got its licks in against the Sox starter on April 24, as Lackey let up 10 hits on the day and walked a pair. But he was able to keep the Orioles from putting up big numbers on the scoreboard, as he let up just three runs in seven innings of work.
On the year, Lackey is 2-1 with a 5.09 ERA, mostly thanks to a rough outing against Tampa Bay on April 19, when he let up eight earned runs in just 3-1/3 innings. The right-hander has done well against Baltimore in the past, posting a 9-3 career record with a 3.21 ERA.
The Orioles will have 24-year old right-hander David Hernandez on the mound. Hernandez emerged as Baltimore’s fifth starter this spring, winning the job over the highly touted Chris Tillman, but has failed to find early success thus far, at least in terms of his record. He is 0-3 with a 4.84 ERA in his first four starts in his second big league season, but he pitched fairly well against the Sox last week at Fenway Park, when he allowed three earned runs over five innings of work.
Control issues have plagued Hernandez early this year, as he has 10 walks over 22-1/3 innings of work. But when you take a closer look at his numbers, he has actually performed relatively well. What has hurt his is a lack of run support, as the Orioles tallied just three runs total in his first three starts before breaking through against the Sox on April 25 to score seven times.
Despite it being just his second year, he has faced the Sox more than any other team. Last year he had mixed results vs. Boston, going 1-2 with a 5.40 ERA. His had his best performance of the 2009 season against the Red Sox, allowing one run over seven strong innings in his first start against the Sox on July 26. In his other three appearances, however, he lasted past the fifth inning just once and lost two of the three games.
Here are the matchups.
Red Sox vs. David Hernandez
Dustin Pedroia (14 career plate appearances against Hernandez): .231 average/.286 OBP/.923 slugging, 3 home runs, 1 walk
Kevin Youkilis (14): .385/.429/.846, 2 home runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (13): .167/.231/.333, 2 doubles, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Victor Martinez (11): .182/.182/.182, 1 strikeout
J.D. Drew (9): .333/.333/.444, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Adrian Beltre (5): .500/.600/.500, 1 walk
Mike Lowell is 2 for 3 vs Hernandez, while Jeremy Hermida has one walk in his two appearances against the Orioles’ starter. Jason Varitek and Jonathan van Every are both 0-2 against Hernandez. Bill Hall and Darnell McDonald have never faced the right-hander.
Orioles vs. John Lackey
Miguel Tejada (37 career plate appearances against Lackey): .297 average/.297 OBP/.432 slugging, 2 d0ubles, 1 home run, 9 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (28): .320/.393/.360, 3 walks, 8 strikeouts
Cesar Izturis (21): .190/.190/.190, 4 strikeouts
Julio Lugo (20): .222/.300/.278, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Ty Wigginton (16): .286/.375/.500, 1 home run, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Adam Jones (14): .143/.143/.286, 1 triple, 5 strikeouts
Luke Scott (9): .375/.444/1.250, 2 home runs, 2 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (9): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Nolan Reimold (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Garrett Atkins is hitless in three at bats against Lackey. The sox starter has never faced Craig Tatum, the Orioles’ backup catcher.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller