Pedroia addresses the fans of New England … sort of
|05.04.10 at 12:26 am ET|
The questions had been asked following the Red Sox‘ latest round of healing — a 17-8 win over the Angels Monday night at Fenway Park — when Dustin Pedroia asked for tape recorder to be turned back on.
“To the fans of New England,” the second baseman began.
‘Everybody can be [expletive] happy when you’re [expletive] 30-1, but what is everybody going to do when we’re 12-14? Are you going to show up to work the next day and write an [expletive] story? Hell no. You’re going to write the best story of your life. We’re going to try and play the best [expletive] game of our life tomorrow. That’s what you’ve got to do when you’re 12-14. Don’t put your head down and mope. Grind it out. You believe. That’s what we’re built on.’
So, there you have it.
Just prior to Pedroia’s message to “the fans of New England,” he also touched on some perception that the chemistry of the team hasn’t jelled with the combination of new players and losing not allowing for the kind of cohesion previously seen in the Sox clubhouse.
“When you win, it’s not magnified. When your 12-14 everybody jumps on the new guys like it’s their fault,” Pedroia said. “It’s not their fault. Nobody has played unbelievable. There’s a few guys who have played good but the new guys have been fine. Boston is different, man. They demand you go out there every day and play your butt and try to win. It takes some time to get used to, but once you get used to it, man, there’s nothing like playing here. It’s the best place in the world. Everybody needs to take a deep breath and do what we did tonight.”
In case you missed it, what the Red Sox did Monday night was notch seven players with multi-hit games on the way to a 20-hit attack.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles