Red Sox vs. Angels matchups, 5/4
|05.04.10 at 1:45 pm ET|
It was a long, strange month for Jon Lester. The beginning of April was a nightmare, just like it had been in the previous year. The talk and questions were mounting for the young Red Sox ace, but perhaps now he is pulling himself out of his early-season doldrums.
In his last two starts, his ERA has lowered from 8.44 to 4.71. He hasn’t given up an earned run since he gave up seven against the Rays on Apr. 18. Those starts were still in April.
The May numbers still aren’t what we have come to expect from Lester over his career in a Red Sox uniform. He is 5-4 with a 4.40 ERA in 12 starts in May, but things seem to be turning around.
His strikeouts have increased in every game, topping out at 11 against Toronto last time out, and his swings and misses have increased in every start this season.
For two teams that seem to be all too familiar with each other, Lester has only faced the Angels four times in his career in the regular season, sporting a 1-1 record with a 7.78 ERA.
Ervin Santana should be the ace of this Angels staff, but with his numbers and up and down performances, it’s hard to label him the clear cut No. 1. Santana clearly has the stuff to be an ace, especially after 2008, when he won 16 games and struck out 217 batters.
But minor ailments have held him back, and this year he isn’t off to an ace-like start. In five starts this season, he is 1-2 with a 4.59 ERA, and his only true ace-like performance came in a complete-game effort against Toronto on Apr. 18.
The Angels hurler has struggled against the Red Sox. He is 1-2 with a 5.29 ERA in six starts vs. Boston, with two losses coming at Fenway Park, where he sports a lofty 6.33 ERA.
ANGELS VS. JON LESTER
Bobby Abreu (14 plate appearances): .308 average/ .351 OBP/ .462 slugging percentage, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Maicer Izturis (9): .375/ .444/ .625, 1 walk
Juan Rivera: 2-for5, 1 walk
Howie Kendrick: 1-for-4, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Erick Aybar: 2-for-3, 1 walk
Jeff Mathis: 1-for-4, 1 strikeout
Torii Hunter: 2-for-3
Mike Napoli: 0-for-3, 1 strikeout
Reggie Willits: 2-for-2, 1 walk
Never faced: Kendry Morales, Brandon Wood
RED SOX VS. ERVIN SANTANA
Adrian Beltre (41 plate appearances): .200 average/ .220 OBP/ .400 slugging percentage, 2 homers, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (21): .167/ .250/ .333, 2 walks, 1 strkeout
David Ortiz (17): .333/ .412/ .667, 1 homer, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts
Jason Varitek (15): .000/ .067/ .000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (13): .182, .308/ .273, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Mike Lowell (12): .273/ .333/ .545, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Victor Martinez (12): .500/ .583/ .800, 1 homer, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (9): .250/ .333/ .375, 1 walk
Kevin Youkilis: 1-for-2, 1 walk, 1 stikeout
Never faced: Bill Hall, Jeremy Hermida
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven