Why Beltre wore the glasses
|05.10.10 at 12:22 am ET|
Adrian Beltre had a pretty good night, only after making a leap of faith not seen in any of his 13 seasons in the big leagues.
After striking out swinging in the second inning, Beltre determined that the wind was not helping matters. He remembered a pair of clear Oakley glasses he had stored away for such occasions, starting four years earlier while in Seattle. The problem was that the third baseman had never actually used the protective glasses in a real game … until Sunday night.
“My eyes are really sensitive and every time it’s windy I can’t see. Today the wind was really bad. It was the first time I’ve ever worn them. Ever. I’ve had them for many years but I’ve never used them.”
He might want to put the glasses in hibernation too long.
On the third pitch of his second at-bat Beltre launched a two-out, two-run double to center field. His next at-bat resulted in another double, this time to left field. By the end of the game he had raised his batting average to .333 with two RBI and two runs, all while wearing the yellow-lensed accessory.
Oh, and by the way, the glasses are not prescription.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance