Why Beltre wore the glasses
|05.10.10 at 12:22 am ET|
Adrian Beltre had a pretty good night, only after making a leap of faith not seen in any of his 13 seasons in the big leagues.
After striking out swinging in the second inning, Beltre determined that the wind was not helping matters. He remembered a pair of clear Oakley glasses he had stored away for such occasions, starting four years earlier while in Seattle. The problem was that the third baseman had never actually used the protective glasses in a real game … until Sunday night.
“My eyes are really sensitive and every time it’s windy I can’t see. Today the wind was really bad. It was the first time I’ve ever worn them. Ever. I’ve had them for many years but I’ve never used them.”
He might want to put the glasses in hibernation too long.
On the third pitch of his second at-bat Beltre launched a two-out, two-run double to center field. His next at-bat resulted in another double, this time to left field. By the end of the game he had raised his batting average to .333 with two RBI and two runs, all while wearing the yellow-lensed accessory.
Oh, and by the way, the glasses are not prescription.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles