Daisuke, Martinez not in sync
|05.18.10 at 12:00 am ET|
NEW YORK — Talking after the Red Sox‘ 11-9 loss to the Yankees, Victor Martinez responded to claims from Daisuke Matsuzaka that the starter didn’t use his fastball as much as in past few starts, insinuating there might have been a problem with the battery-mates getting on the same page.
“I don’t know. He’s the one … I’m just back to try and help him go through the game,” said Martinez. “At the end he’s the one who has the ball in his hand.”
When asked again about the perceived miscommunication, Martinez continued, saying, “Like I said, I’m just behind the plate trying to help him. At the end he’s the one who has the last word. He’s the one who has the ball in his hand. I’m just putting suggestions and he can say, ‘Yes’ or ‘No.'”
Regarding his feeling about being shaken off so much, Martinez simply said, “It’s not the first time.” And when asked if it was more than usual, the catcher responded, “Maybe. Maybe.”
Matsuzaka finished his night allowing seven runs on nine hits over 4 2/3 innings, throwing 105 pitches. But it was the first inning that defined his outing, allowing five runs in the frame.
“He fell behind in the count a lot. Sooner or later you have to throw strikes,” Martinez said. “Like I said, that’s a tough lineup on the other side and when you pitch behind in the count it’s pretty tough to get outs.”
When asked what he thought the cause of the big inning was, Matsuzaka said through translator Masa Hoshino, ‘There’s one thing that I know for sure, but I’m not quite ready to share that.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption