Daisuke, Martinez not in sync
|05.18.10 at 12:00 am ET|
NEW YORK — Talking after the Red Sox‘ 11-9 loss to the Yankees, Victor Martinez responded to claims from Daisuke Matsuzaka that the starter didn’t use his fastball as much as in past few starts, insinuating there might have been a problem with the battery-mates getting on the same page.
“I don’t know. He’s the one … I’m just back to try and help him go through the game,” said Martinez. “At the end he’s the one who has the ball in his hand.”
When asked again about the perceived miscommunication, Martinez continued, saying, “Like I said, I’m just behind the plate trying to help him. At the end he’s the one who has the last word. He’s the one who has the ball in his hand. I’m just putting suggestions and he can say, ‘Yes’ or ‘No.'”
Regarding his feeling about being shaken off so much, Martinez simply said, “It’s not the first time.” And when asked if it was more than usual, the catcher responded, “Maybe. Maybe.”
Matsuzaka finished his night allowing seven runs on nine hits over 4 2/3 innings, throwing 105 pitches. But it was the first inning that defined his outing, allowing five runs in the frame.
“He fell behind in the count a lot. Sooner or later you have to throw strikes,” Martinez said. “Like I said, that’s a tough lineup on the other side and when you pitch behind in the count it’s pretty tough to get outs.”
When asked what he thought the cause of the big inning was, Matsuzaka said through translator Masa Hoshino, ‘There’s one thing that I know for sure, but I’m not quite ready to share that.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday