Ortiz finishes off May in style
|05.30.10 at 5:43 pm ET|
David Ortiz couldn’t have punctuated what he called the most satisfying month of his career any more perfectly.
Just before stepping to the plate in the fifth inning he looked over and saw a friend of his.
‘I said, ‘What are you doing here today?’ He said, ‘Just waiting for you to go deep.’ So I said, ‘Alright, coming up,’’ Ortiz explained.
Then ‘¦ boom ‘¦ a swing, a home run, and a red-hot designated hitter pointing to his buddy.
What a difference 30 days makes.
After hitting the two-run homer into the center field bleachers, and walking twice, Ortiz is finishing May having hit 10 home runs, his highest total for a month since August, 2006. Since May 1, Ortiz has also hit .363 with 27 RBI and an OPS of 1.212.
It was just the second time in his career that the DH finished a month having notched at least 10 homers, 25 RBI and a .350 batting average (June, ‘04 the other time, finishing at 10 HR, 33 RBI, and .355).
‘I feel good,’ Ortiz said before leaving the clubhouse for the last time this month. ‘It’s not over yet.’
When Ortiz exited April he was hitting just .143 with a single homer. That first day in May, however, the DH launched a pair of homers in Baltimore. He is now hitting .272.
“I’m not really so worried about the month of May. He took some good swings today. He’s been taking good swings,” Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. “I don’t know if it matters that it’s June or not, but he’s gotten himself to a point where he feels really good about himself. You can see it in his body language and his energy. He goes up to the plate and they make a mistake and he hits hit a long way. Sometimes when they don’t make a mistake he’ll shoot it to left or foul it off. But he’s a very dangerous and very productive hitter.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday