Kalish promoted to Triple-A
|05.31.10 at 10:31 pm ET|
A baseball source confirmed that Red Sox outfielder Ryan Kalish, one of the top position prospects in the system, was promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket after Monday’s game with the Portland Sea Dogs. The news was first reported by the Portland Press-Herald.
The 22-year-old started out slowly this year, hitting .222 with a .373 OBP, .444 slugging mark and .818 OPS in April before enjoying a tremendous second month of the season. In May, Kalish hit .345/.430/.586/1.016 with four homers, improving his overall marks to a .293 average, .404 OBP (4th in the Eastern League), .527 slugging (9th) and .931 OPS (6th). His performance this year cemented his strong showing in Portland in 2009 when, after an early-season promotion, he hit .271/.341/.440/.781 with 13 homers in 103 games.
Kalish has always had an advanced approach at the plate. Since the start of the 2009 season, he has also shown solid power potential. He hit the second most homers in the Sox system in 2009 (18), and is tied for second in the system this year (8).
‘I’ve heard it from a million people: ‘We think we can get power out of you,’’ Kalish said this offseason. ‘Until this year, I never really thought it would actually happen.
‘Once I started it, I knew it would keep going. It was an awesome surprise to add it to my game. Last year, I feel like, almost similar season as far as average, but when you add home runs and score a lot of runs, stay on the field, it’s an awesome combination.
‘In years past, I concentrated on guiding the ball to the opposite field. It’s good to hit the ball to the opposite field, but to make money in the big leagues, you’ve got to hit home runs, and pulling the ball is where it’s at. I got a lot more aggressive.’
For more on Kalish, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo
- 2015 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule take shape
- Red Sox announce trio of front office moves