About that dugout spat between Beltre and Martinez…
|06.05.10 at 7:34 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Those watching the Red Sox pound the Orioles on Friday night might have noticed a somewhat odd development in the Red Sox dugout in the top of the fifth inning. Adrian Beltre, after clobbering a homer, entered the dugout in jovial spirits but then suddenly appeared to take a swipe at teammate Victor Martinez. (For the video, click here.)
In fact, that is precisely what happened. And the Sox third baseman did not rule out the possibility that fisticuffs could again prevail between him and Martinez, even though the two get along famously.
So what spawned the incident, and why might there be a repeat of it?
“I don’t like anybody to touch my head, and he knows it. He does it on purpose,” said Beltre. “So I’m not responsible for everything that happens after that.”
Beltre sighed that his punch — which was followed by giggles from both players — likely would not prevent Martinez from repeating his act of insolence. And if that happens, Beltre said, the consequences will be severe. Even though Martinez has the benefit of wearing his catching gear, Beltre vowed that he would not fail to punish the catcher should there be another touch of the head.
“I know where to get him. He’s got a bad toe,” Beltre laughed. “[Revenge will happen] off the dugout, probably, where nobody can see.”
Beltre said that he was unfamiliar with the Thai belief that the head, as the highest part of the body, houses the soul and thus should not be touched. But he embraced the notion.
“Maybe I’m part-Thai,” he said.
- Preliminary 'New Stars for Young Stars' lineup announced
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Big weeks for Acosta and Welch
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder