About that dugout spat between Beltre and Martinez…
|06.05.10 at 7:34 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Those watching the Red Sox pound the Orioles on Friday night might have noticed a somewhat odd development in the Red Sox dugout in the top of the fifth inning. Adrian Beltre, after clobbering a homer, entered the dugout in jovial spirits but then suddenly appeared to take a swipe at teammate Victor Martinez. (For the video, click here.)
In fact, that is precisely what happened. And the Sox third baseman did not rule out the possibility that fisticuffs could again prevail between him and Martinez, even though the two get along famously.
So what spawned the incident, and why might there be a repeat of it?
“I don’t like anybody to touch my head, and he knows it. He does it on purpose,” said Beltre. “So I’m not responsible for everything that happens after that.”
Beltre sighed that his punch — which was followed by giggles from both players — likely would not prevent Martinez from repeating his act of insolence. And if that happens, Beltre said, the consequences will be severe. Even though Martinez has the benefit of wearing his catching gear, Beltre vowed that he would not fail to punish the catcher should there be another touch of the head.
“I know where to get him. He’s got a bad toe,” Beltre laughed. “[Revenge will happen] off the dugout, probably, where nobody can see.”
Beltre said that he was unfamiliar with the Thai belief that the head, as the highest part of the body, houses the soul and thus should not be touched. But he embraced the notion.
“Maybe I’m part-Thai,” he said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo