About that dugout spat between Beltre and Martinez…
|06.05.10 at 7:34 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Those watching the Red Sox pound the Orioles on Friday night might have noticed a somewhat odd development in the Red Sox dugout in the top of the fifth inning. Adrian Beltre, after clobbering a homer, entered the dugout in jovial spirits but then suddenly appeared to take a swipe at teammate Victor Martinez. (For the video, click here.)
In fact, that is precisely what happened. And the Sox third baseman did not rule out the possibility that fisticuffs could again prevail between him and Martinez, even though the two get along famously.
So what spawned the incident, and why might there be a repeat of it?
“I don’t like anybody to touch my head, and he knows it. He does it on purpose,” said Beltre. “So I’m not responsible for everything that happens after that.”
Beltre sighed that his punch — which was followed by giggles from both players — likely would not prevent Martinez from repeating his act of insolence. And if that happens, Beltre said, the consequences will be severe. Even though Martinez has the benefit of wearing his catching gear, Beltre vowed that he would not fail to punish the catcher should there be another touch of the head.
“I know where to get him. He’s got a bad toe,” Beltre laughed. “[Revenge will happen] off the dugout, probably, where nobody can see.”
Beltre said that he was unfamiliar with the Thai belief that the head, as the highest part of the body, houses the soul and thus should not be touched. But he embraced the notion.
“Maybe I’m part-Thai,” he said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!