Sox agree to deal with power-hitting Brentz
|06.08.10 at 7:50 pm ET|
According to a baseball source, outfielder Bryce Brentz, whom the Red Sox selected with their second pick of the 2010 draft (No. 36 overall), has informed the team that he will sign for the Major League Baseball recommended slot bonus. The amount of the bonus is approximately $891,000. A year ago, the No. 36 overall pick (college pitcher Aaron Miller) signed for $889,200 with the Dodgers.
While no deal would be complete until a physical takes place, Brentz is expected to head to Boston soon for a physical in order to be ready to start his professional career.
Brentz led the NCAA in homers (28) as a sophomore, before struggling at times while dealing with a hairline fracture (described by some as a high ankle sprain) as a junior. Still, he ended the year hitting 15 homers, and after drafting him on Monday, Sox amateur scouting director Amiel Sawdaye said that Brentz has “light tower power.”
For more on the Sox’ first day of the draft, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss