Matsuzaka put on the D.L; Atchison gets start
|06.12.10 at 4:23 pm ET|
Just minutes before the Red Sox game with the Phillies Saturday afternoon it was announced by the team that Daisuke Matsuzaka had been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain. Scott Atchison got the emergency start for the Red Sox, who also recalled lefty pitcher Dustin Richardson. It is Atchison’s first start in the major leagues. Matsuzaka was in the Red Sox bullpen prior to the game, seemingly warming up for the start.
The hurler did have to postpone his side session Wednesday after throwing up during his long toss, pushing his session to Thursday. It is the second time this season Matsuzaka has been on the disabled list, where he began the season with back and neck issues. Check the Red Sox team page for more information.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers