Matsuzaka put on the D.L; Atchison gets start
|06.12.10 at 4:23 pm ET|
Just minutes before the Red Sox game with the Phillies Saturday afternoon it was announced by the team that Daisuke Matsuzaka had been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain. Scott Atchison got the emergency start for the Red Sox, who also recalled lefty pitcher Dustin Richardson. It is Atchison’s first start in the major leagues. Matsuzaka was in the Red Sox bullpen prior to the game, seemingly warming up for the start.
The hurler did have to postpone his side session Wednesday after throwing up during his long toss, pushing his session to Thursday. It is the second time this season Matsuzaka has been on the disabled list, where he began the season with back and neck issues. Check the Red Sox team page for more information.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia