Matsuzaka put on the D.L; Atchison gets start
|06.12.10 at 4:23 pm ET|
Just minutes before the Red Sox game with the Phillies Saturday afternoon it was announced by the team that Daisuke Matsuzaka had been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain. Scott Atchison got the emergency start for the Red Sox, who also recalled lefty pitcher Dustin Richardson. It is Atchison’s first start in the major leagues. Matsuzaka was in the Red Sox bullpen prior to the game, seemingly warming up for the start.
The hurler did have to postpone his side session Wednesday after throwing up during his long toss, pushing his session to Thursday. It is the second time this season Matsuzaka has been on the disabled list, where he began the season with back and neck issues. Check the Red Sox team page for more information.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Sox quiet at deadline, Owens called up
- Scouting Scratch: Greenville Arms Part 1
- Kevin Steen promoted to Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Yoan Moncada and Tim Roberson have big days in Portland slugfest
- Owens to be called up, will debut in Yankee Stadium
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey powers Lowell, Hernandez leads PawSox comeback
- Cup of Coffee: McAvoy tosses Salem past Nationals
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis shines in national TV spotlight
- Cup of Coffee: Travis, Owens continue hot stretches
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory